Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Optane 32GB cannot be seen by Windows 10

Residentx
New Contributor III

I have this PC desktop Optane Drive. 

I tried to install it into HP Zbook but it will not be seen by the computer.  In the past, I was able to install and have used at 512gb extra drive. 

1. Is this drive total useless now since it's been EOL? 

2. Do I have to upgrade the firmware? 

3. Originally, when I bought this I talked with HP and they told me they could take it but it had to be configured with a tech remotely to ensure properly configured. 

4. Does this drive have to be the first drive? My Zbook has 4 storage slots. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Residentx.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forum.

I received this ticket regarding the Optane drive compatibility, and I will be reviewing this with you.

Before I can answer your questions, I will need to confirm the following:

1. What is the complete model of the Optane? is this a regular Optane Memory or an Optane H10/H20 series?

2. What is the exact model of the system where it will be installed?

I will follow up March 17th in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Residentx
New Contributor III

Replies to your questions are below: 

1.  What is the complete model of the Optane? is this a regular Optane Memory or an Optane H10/H20 series?

Me Reply:  

1a. It's an Intel Optane Memory H10 with SSD ( 512GB)

1b. H10

2. What is the exact model of the system where it will be installed?

Me Reply:  HP Zbook Fury G7 17. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

And you have enabled Optane support within the BIOS?

...S

0 Kudos
Residentx
New Contributor III

I reimage my computer quarterly. I'll call HP and talk to them first. Thanks for the comments. In the past, I could stick in the Optane drive and it would just default to storage. 

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Residentx.

Thank you for the details and confirmation.

Going back to your initial questions:

1. Is this drive total useless now since it's been EOL?

- R\ You should be able to use it on compatible platforms/systems, that just means it is no longer in production and updates are very unlikely to take place.

2. Do I have to upgrade the firmware?

- R\ This should not be necessary, and most of the Optane H10/H20 drives are OEM and have custom firmware that cannot be upgraded using Intel SSD tools anyway.

3. Originally, when I bought this I talked with HP and they told me they could take it but it had to be configured with a tech remotely to ensure properly configured.

- R\ Configuration and compatibility will depend on your system, so we generally recommend to contact the manufacturer for detailed instructions on how to setup the BIOS in their specific systems, and confirm the necessary features are enabled properly, but we can provide general information.

4. Does this drive have to be the first drive? My Zbook has 4 storage slots.

- R\ Since this is an Optane H10, yes, it is designed to be the primary drive of the system and is the only way to enable the Optane acceleration through the RST driver. Please keep in mind this unit is a 2-in-1 SSD (Optane + Storage) so the port must be able to recognize both portions of the disks (PCIe bifurcation), but systems without this are generally able to see at least one of them.

If we can help you in any way, please let me know, but if this is not the case I will close the thread on March 22nd.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos