Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane Issue on Dell XPS8920

RScha5
Beginner

Received new Dell XPS 8920 with 16GB Optane memory and 1TB WD spinning drive. Purchased 500GB WD Blue SSD. Disabled Optane, ran 3rd part disk clone tool. Removed old drive Rebooted. Trying to re-enable Optane and it crashes. attached screen shot of error code. Called Dell and since I switched drives they won't support, so I thought I would try here.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Regnav,

We understand your situation regarding your Intel® Optane™ Memory.

This error code means that the SATA disk must contain at least 5MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of the drive.

Could you please post a screenshot of Disk management.

Also, please make sure you are using the latest version of the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27147/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST- Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), since in the new update the software would be able to resize the SSD automatically.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
RScha5
Beginner

I uninstalled RST and followed your link to re-install RST. I tried to enable Optane and received a different error code (attached)

Disk manager also attached

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Regnav,

Thanks for the screenshots provided. It seems that you have too many recovery partitions on the (C:) drive.

If you do not need them, we recommend you to delete all of them and add the space to the drive. You can follow the next steps:

In case you need to keep the recovery partitions, make sure you do not delete the one you need.

Also, we recommend you to keep 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive.

In order to add the free space, please follow this steps:

1-Go to Disk Management

2-right click the disk C

3-Select the option that says "add volume"

4-Select the unallocated space and hit next.

If you run into any issues again, we recommend you to unplug the other drives and try again.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
RScha5
Beginner

The multiple recovery partitions is how Dell delivered. I deleted the last recovery partition so I would have unallocated space at the end of the C volume. This seemed to fix the issue and now have Optane paired with the SSD per RST.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Regnav,

We are glad to hear that you were able to accelerate your drive.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos