Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane Software Install Errors

msaff
Beginner

Whenever I try to install the Optane driver, it tells me that I have a BIOS configuration error. I have the newest BIOS update 0906 for Asus Rog Maximus Hero IX. I have the Intel Rapid Storage technology driver installed. I have Win 10 64 bit and a Kaby lake i7 7700K. I have 2 solid states and a HDD installed. I had to unplug the HDD because I was having another error that had to do with partitions. The only drive that had partitions on it was the HDD. It wasn't even my boot drive so not sure why I was having that issue. Included are my logs.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello mjshl23,

We have reviewed the Optane™ installation logs you have provided and it seems like your BIOS is currently set to Legacy Mode. Once you disable legacy and set your BIOS to UEFI mode the installation should be able to proceed and complete successfully.

In your Asus* BIOS, you should be able to accomplish this task by setting the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) to Disabled. Alternatively, you may enable launch CSM, and set your "Boot Device Control" and "Boot from Storage Devices" to "UEFI Driver first."

Please let us know if this resolves the issue.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
msaff
Beginner

See thing is, I already tried that. I looked through the logs saw the same thing. UEFI First is enabled for everything and if I disable CSM it boots straight into the bios instead of windows. Seems I am at a stand still. Same thing if I tick intel rapid storage for the sata options. My machine boots straight to BIOS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mjshl23,

This is unfortunate, but not altogether unexpected.

Your OS will never like you changing the BIOS mode after it has already been installed. Short of reinstalling everything and starting from scratch (ideal, but if you don't want to do it, I don't blame you), the following thread may help, it was written for Windows 7*, but it should still apply:

- https://superuser.com/questions/389971/how-to-move-an-existing-installation-of-window-7-64bit-to-uefi-from-legacy How to move an existing installation of Windows to UEFI (from legacy) - superuser.com

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
msaff
Beginner

Just figured I would mention if anyone else has this issue that there is a fairly easy way to convert MBR to GPT if you have Windows 10 and the creators update. You can run MBR2GPT.exe to convert MBR discs to GPT safely and without data loss.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt MBR2GPT | Microsoft Docs

0 Kudos
msaff
Beginner

So I am back to having the last partition error again after converting to GPT. I already got rid of my recovery partition which was the solution posted in the other thread. CSM is disabled and Win 10 machine is booting successfully that way.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mjshl23,

At this point it sounds like you're having to make too many conversions and changes, which could all be generating issues of their own.

It may be worth considering a clean installation of Windows* using the proper partition table and BIOS settings from the start.

You could also try shrinking your current partition to leave the last 20 or 30MB as un-allocated space, allowing the installation to perform the required actions.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
msaff
Beginner

So I completely reinstalled Windows 10, CSM is off, and the drive is GPT. Still this issue persists. Same last partition can not be resized error. I am getting really tired of trying to get this to work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mjshl23,

Does the issue occur even after moving/deleting the recovery partition?

Since Windows* was installed using all of the required settings, making sure there isn't an unmovable partition at the end of your boot drive should be the only thing needed before Optane™ can be setup.

If you've already verified this, please share your installation logs with us for further review.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mjshl23,

We haven't heard back from you in a while.

Has your issue been resolved?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos