Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane and HDD incompatibility Iron Wolf

FMONN
Beginner

Hello

I recently installed a 32GB Optane cache on my system

However, when my Iron Wolf HDD (HDD for NAS) is plugged in, the system won't boot.

The system normally works with optane disabled or by disconnecting the HDD and leaving optane enabled.

HDD has no problems, smart test and surface test OK.

Is this a problem with the HDD firmware? do I have to change HDD?

PS I own a Hitachi 1Tb disk and a 3Tb barracuda seagate which are perfectly recognized.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Kaellis,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please provide the following information:

*Brand and model of your motherboard.

*Please let us know the specific M.2 port that your Intel® Optane™ Memory is connected to the motherboard. Also, let us know the specific SATA ports that are in use now and specify the SATA port that you are trying to connect the Iron Wolf* HDD.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
FMONN
Beginner

Hello,

So my motherboard is an MSI B360 Gaming Pro carbon My optane is connected to the M2 2 port on my motherboard, the only one compatible with optane.

I thought for a while it was because I had a hard drive connected to the sata 2 port, but even unplugging this device didn't solve the problem.

My iron Wolf HDD is connected to sata port 5

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kaellis,

Thanks for the information provided.

Could you please provide the following information:

*Please attach screenshots of disk management.

*Please provide the Optane(TM) logs located here: C:\Users\[your user name]\Intel\Logs *Please provide the system information by using the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*:

1- Go to: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?v=t and download the software.

2- When finished downloading it, open it.

3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan.

4- When finish scanning, click "Next."

5- Click on "Save."

6-Attach the file when replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
FMONN
Beginner

I solved my problem, I disconnected all SATA ports and tested 1 by 1.

Obviously my problem came from an external sata port, when this one is plugged in, the motherboard refuses to boot if Optane is associated with a disk.

I have absolutely no idea why, after I never use this port, I just unplugged it and everything works perfectly.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kaellis,

We are glad to know that your situation has been resolved.

It seems that your situation was related to lane sharing issues. This is a limitation that your motherboard has. You can check the information in the https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360-GAMING-PRO-CARBON# down-manual user guide Page 16 Storage section and also Page 31.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
FMONN
Beginner

Thanks for your help

There's one thing I don't understand, Channel sharing only concerns M2 ports connected to an SATA M2 SSD, right?

But the optane is PCI Nvme, so it's not normally concerned with channel sharing problems?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kaellis,

Thanks for the reply.

Checking the information you are correct. However, since the issue was resolved by changing the ports, we recommend you to check with the https://www.msi.com/support motherboard manufacturer in order to check what could be the root of the situation since it seems to be related to something else.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos