Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane doesn't show drives

SSlrz
Beginner

Hi.

Today I buy an Optane Memory 32gb. I can install the driver, and I can see the options in uefi Bios..The problem is that when I open the program to enable Optane, it doesn't show any drive. Just two empty spaces, and below, the "Activate" button, but when I click on it the program shows a failure "There was a problem with Optane" and nothing more.

My rig: Msi B360m Mortar Titanium - Intel i5 8600K - Western digital Blue hard drive 4tb (it's new)

Yes, I have 400mb of unlocated space at the end of the system drive.

Yes, the Bios is the last updated from the official motherboard site.

Yes, the hdd is gpt.

Yes, the bios is in Uefi mode.

I don't know what to do..I'd think that it will be easy, but this is a pain.

Please, give a solution...I spend lot of money for this. Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SebastianSlrzn,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

I understand you are experiencing a recognition issue when trying to install your memory module.

According to the motherboard's manufacturer website (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B360M-MORTAR-TITANIUM/Specification https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B360M-MORTAR-TITANIUM/Specification), there are a couple of considerations regarding the installation of the memory module:

Could you please confirm that you are connecting the memory module to the M2_2 slot and that no device is connected to PCIe_E4 slot?

Also, in order to provide the adequate assistance, could you please attach the report generated by our System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-)?

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
SSlrz
Beginner

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I'll ckeck that, i'm not sure [EDIT] I check it and the optane is in the M2_2 slot and the PCIe_E4 is free...

.... But now I have a different problem... Tryin' to make it work, i uninstall the optane driver, but now when I try to install it again the optane driver says "unrecoverable error during installation" (i translate this from spanish), and the installation is canceled.

Here's a print and attached the optane log and the SSU log.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SebastianSlrzn,

Thank you for the information provided.

According to the SSU 21-07-2018.txt.zip file that you shared, your BIOS is in Legacy Mode:

Could you please make the corresponding change and try the installation again?

Is it possible to perform a clean installation of the OS?

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
SSlrz
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the answer.

The BIOS is in UEFI mode, as I see. I' don't know why SSU Scan take it as Legacy.

I give you some snaps from the bios itself ( maybe it can't be seen clearly, but UEFI is highlighted) and from the msinfo32 resume.

As you see, the first boot option is the Uefi hard disk.

Why a fresh windows installation? doesn't seem to be the problem here. I installed just 2 months ago in UEFI mode, i'm very sure about that, and the system is working in perfect condition. I don't have any other problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SebastianSlrzn,

Thank you for the images provided.

Since it seems that you are indeed using UEFI mode then we can discard the clean installation suggestion.

Could you please follow the steps provided in your motherboard's user manual (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-MORTAR-TITANIUM# down-manual https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-MORTAR-TITANIUM# down-manual page 90) and try to install the Optane memory module via the Optane Genie:

Additionally, could you please provide a screenshot of the Windows* disk management?

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
SSlrz
Beginner

Hello, thanks for the answer.

I activated the M.2/Optane Genie item, but nothing happens. It gives me the same error during installation of the driver...The error is the same with the Optane Driver and with the RST driver. Exactly the same problem that I show you before.

Here's a screen of the disk managment (I already ckecked if the disk is Basic and the unnused space at the end)

I mean..Right now, the problem is that I can't even install the driver because of this error:

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SebastianSlrzn,

Thank you for the screenshot provided.

From what I can see, you have two primary partitions (C: & E:). Could you please test installing the Optane module with only the booting drive connected to the system (E: drive disconnected)?

The Optane module cannot accelerate any booting drive if various storage devices have an OS installed. Could you please confirm that you are trying to accelerate your Western Digital Blue HDD and that this will be the only booting drive in your system?

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
SSlrz
Beginner

Yes, I will try that.

Just a question...That can be the problem with the driver? I mean..The issue right now is not that the drivers are not taken Optane..The problem is that i can't even install the drivers.

Thanks for your help and patience. I will try desconnecting the other drives.

EDIT: Well, I let just the system hard driver and i was able to install the driver...BUT NOW..(Why so many problems with this????), this happens:

At first, the pc can't boot..Error "Genie M.2 error..F1 to run setup"...Well, then I disable M.2 Genie from Bios and Windows started...I install the driver, as I said, no problem, but now this new problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SebastianSlrzn,

I understand your concern, since the first issue seems to be the driver error message. Since the error is associated with a failed uninstallation process, perhaps some damaged/corrupted files are preventing the adequate re-installation. That is why I mentioned performing another clean installation, which usually is the last resort (although the most efficient) in terms of software/driver troubleshooting.

Recent suggestions were provided based on the fact that by correcting any source of error, maybe we can proceed with the adequate installation of any Optane-related media.

In case you have any update or question don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SebastianSlrzn,

Thank you for the quick update.

According to our Error Codes and Messages While Enabling and Disabling Intel® Optane™ Memory (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html), the corresponding troubleshooting is the following:

Please let us know the outcome of this.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
SSlrz
Beginner

My friend..I don't have that "deconcatenation" option or any option in the RST menu..There's not even one option to do anything, at least in my bios...I give you some screen.

Also, I unninstall the driver just to see what happens and..guess what? I can't install it AGAIN! The same "fatal error" of the beggining..I didn't plug my other hdd's back, and I didn't change any setting...

I don't know what to do..Y try every single thing..I have a computer enable to run Optane, I follow every step, and still can't get it work..Please mate, give me a solution for this.

This is my bios:

As you can see, no options to choose.

0 Kudos
AZito
Beginner

I just ran the SSU for my own board and it came back showing in the .txt file that my Bios was set to LEGACY. However in my UEFI I've disabled CSM, and according to my msinfo32 my motherboard is in UEFI. It's strange that this is happening.

0 Kudos
FoxyFox11Den
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SebastianSlrzn,

As stated before, since the driver installation procedure is still showing errors, the next suggestion would be to perform a clean installation.

There is something that caught my attention of the screenshots you provided, you are using a BETA BIOS version, which means that you need to ask the motherboard's manufacturer if every past feature has been thoroughly tested (emphasizing on the Optane part). Especially since MSI does not recommend using that BIOS version unless you have experienced XMP function issues in the past:

There are cases of customers who reported issues in their accelerated systems after installing a BETA BIOS version, so further analyzing this may lead to a solution. Please contact your motherboard's manufacturer for more information (https://register.msi.com/home/login https://register.msi.com/home/login).

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
SSlrz
Beginner

Thanks mate. Finally I make it work (with your help, of course). I just reinstalled Windows 10 (don't need to loose any data, just update the whole system with a image file of the SO). After that, the driver goes well, everything goes perfect and I didn't need to lose anything..I keep my configuration, my files and my apps. Also, I downgrade my BIOS version for the last stable version (just in case, I don't know if that helped in any way)

It was a problem of my SO, that I fix just reinstalling it.

Thanks for your help and your patience. The problem is solved.

Maybe this can be used for others users with the same problem.

Thanks to all for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SebastianSlrzn,

I am glad to hear that you were able to solve the issue.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, we really appreciate it.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos