Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Optane memory software

RFloy
Beginner

I just set up a new system and installed a 16gb stick of optane memory. I installed the Optane Memory software and have everything working. The optane is working beautifully. I can see it in the task manager, device manager shows my boot disk+optane. Everything seems to be working.

My issue is that the software itself no longer will initialize. I don't know if some of the updates broke the Optane memory interface or what happened. When I click on the software program win10 will ask if I want to allow the software to make changes to my system. I click yes, get the mouse pointer circle for a couple of seconds like it's fixing to pop open and then nothing. Just like I never clicked on it.

Do I need to reinstall the software? Can it be done without screwing up the Optane module and having to reinstall win10 all over again?

Thanks for any replies. I am satisfied the optane is working but if I need to uninstall it for any reason I think the software will be needed.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi w4rwf,

I just did a quick test before suggesting you something that will create a bigger issue. I enabled the Intel® Optane™ memory in my system and then, I tried to uninstall the Intel® Optane® memory software but the same software stopped me from doing this, so I couldn't uninstall it and apparently this is not a good idea either.

On the other hand, I'm not sure why you are getting issues running the Intel® Optane™ memory software. Could you please take a screenshot of the programs you currently have installed in your system (Program and Features)? There is a chance that the Intel® Optane™ memory software gets in conflict with another software like the Intel® RST application. We can check this by taking a look at the programs currently installed in your system.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
RFloy
Beginner

sorry for the long delay

i hope these are the screenshots that you were looking for

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi w4rwf,

Don't worry about the delay, and thanks for the screenshots, however they are not what I was looking for.

I was talking about the list of programs that are installed in your computer. This list is available in Programs and Features. To open it, please press the Windows key and then type "Programs and Features".

The option should appear in the menu, so you just have to click on it and the programs list will appear. It should look like to the screenshot below (with a list of programs).

Please take a screenshot of that list so we can check it. Make sure to include the complete list. If necessary take 2 or 3 screenshots as you did with the ones you just posted so we don't miss any program.

I'll be waiting for your response. If you have any doubt, please feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
RFloy
Beginner

ok, i apologize! i gotcha now. it's 2 screenshots

0 Kudos
RFloy
Beginner

another thought also. in the bios, which is an asus board, i have the intel rapid storage technology activated. i installed the optane memory software and the tray icon shows it enabled. just on a whim i tried to install the intel rapid storage technology driver and it won't install because it says the optane memory software is installed. i know i can disable the optane in the bios if i need too but i think the software option would be better. the optane memory is a 16gb module so i know also that the optane memory software won't report stats on it.

0 Kudos
RFloy
Beginner

i also let the optane memory software try to repair itself and that accomplished nothing either.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi w4rwf,

Thanks for the screenshots. I confirmed the information I was looking for.

I thought that the issue could be related with having both applications the Intel® Optane™ memory software and the Intel® RST software installed, but this is not the case.

You are right about the option to disable the Intel® Optane™ memory from BIOS but that's not the best way to do it as it may end in having to re-install Windows* all over again, so let's leave this at the end as our last option.

I haven't seen a similar issue like this one before with the Intel® Optane™ memory software. Please let me investigate about it to see if I can find anything else that we can try in order to avoid having to disable the module from BIOS.

I'll post an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
RFloy
Beginner

Thank you sir! Will be waiting.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi w4rwf,

I was informed that there have been reports about issues with applications caused by a recent Windows* update, specifically the update KB4074588. Your issue with the Intel® Optane™ memory might be related to this as well. Could you please check and confirm which Windows* updates you have in your system?

You can check this information with the Intel® System Support Utility. This tool will scan your computer to generate a report with all details we need to know. Please download it from this site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

There is no need to install the tool as it's an executable file. Just run it on your system and at the end, save the results in a file so that you can attach it in a post.

I'll be waiting for your response. If you have any questions about the tool, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos