Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

PC Bluescreened.. The PC wouldnt start with the Optane "plugged in". Only way to start the PC is to remove the Optane. With the Optane module gone, the disc it used to accelerate is gone.

MJax0
Beginner

A technician doing service told med initialy tha two DIM's were faulty. And later that my M.2 Intel Optane was also faulty

Guess it is caused by the system thinking it should be an Optane-accelerated-disc, which confuses it since its no longe there.

Hard drive shows up in BIO's

Hard drive does not show up in disc managment.

Changing SATA-ports have done nothing

plugging the Optane back in renders the PC useless, that's not an option.

There must be a way to "disconnect" the two evn when the module is gone?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, you have provided no real information.

What is the model number and the manufacturer of your device/motherboard?

What operating system and what version?

What is your processor model number?

Does the bios of your device support optane?

Provide detailed information and maybe someone can help you.

Doc

P.S. Stay away from that "technician".

0 Kudos
MJax0
Beginner

Sorry about that. I really didnt see the point of naming hardware since the the optane was running fine for some 18 months prior to the crash thus removing any compatability issues.

Motherboard: MSI Z270-S02

Processor: i7-7700K 4,2ghz.

Yes, it supports Optane.

All i really want is to be able to use the mechanical hard drive the optane once used to accelerate.

The tecnician works for the company who sold me the PC. And the service was done under warranty, so no money changed hands. I can't really speak for his qualafications though. All i know is that he got the PC running again, shen i could not.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I do not know the MSI bios. On other bios, I have changed the sata option from Intel RST to RAID, which severed the relationship of the hard drive and optane.

Before you attempt to do this, make sure you have a backup of your boot drive and any data, for safe keeping.

Doc

0 Kudos
MJax0
Beginner

I was just about to try that.

The missing accelerated drive is not my boot drive. Does one still need to backup the boot drive when doing this?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
MJax0
Beginner

This did nothing of value. Bricked my OS. And as usual none of the backups i made could be bothered to work.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This should have done nothing to your system/boot drive. I always recommend taking a backup before any such operations. If changing the SATA mode to RAID did not sever the optane relationship, you should have been able to put the sata mode back like it was, and boot your system drive.

I do not know that we have a clear picture of your configuration You say that the system drive is not accelerated, and only the secondary drive is/was. Is that correct?

Also, part of taking a backup is knowing that it can be restored.

Doc

0 Kudos
MJax0
Beginner

Yes, changing the sata options again fixed the boot operation.

Correct, the optane was used to accelerate one of my secondary drives. The third drive to be exact. boot drive is an m.2 SSD. and then theres 3 mechanical storage drives.

I did triple backups just in case. They all should have worked, but none did.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, did you previously disable the relationship with the Intel Optane memory tool?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28649/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?v=t

Doc

0 Kudos
MJax0
Beginner

No. Since i couldnt determine that the problem occured because of the Optane it never entered my mind. And the technician who removed the module did not go through theese steps, since neither he could get the PC started with the module connected.

0 Kudos
MJax0
Beginner

The problem persists. I've spent more time than i care to admit i BIO's (and i might ad that i am not all that fammiliar with MSI's BIO's, but it sure seems to lack some options one would like to have. Guess thats the trade one does when going for a "Gamer grade" MB). I've mostly been trying to find the illusive "deconcatenate" option the wise internet has told me about. It's not there. Guess that also goes away when the hardware is removed or something. I tried re-installing the Optane Software (which i of course knew wouldnt work since it has no drive to configure, but at least thats confirmed now). Last ditch effort before the mechanical drive turns into a less than pretty paper weight will be to load some version of linus onto a USB drive and try to format the drive from there.

0 Kudos
MJax0
Beginner

The issue is fixed.

For whatever reason, today after unsucesfully trying to format the drive through a thumbdrive equipped with some tools, the option for "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" appeared in my BIO's. The optane has been divorced from the disc. All the data is gone, of course. But the disc now appears as it should in the disc managment software.

I have no idea how the option appeared. I have litteraly done nothing to try to make it appear. It was just there. And i am at least 100% sure that it was not there before.

0 Kudos