Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Pinning for secondary drive

GRezk
Beginner

So to use the pinning function, I need to have at minimum the 32gb optane module. I can understand that there would be performance issues for a primary boot drive using the 16gb card, but for a secondary drive, I can't see why preventing this feature would help performance.

Background: I play a game from the secondary drive every few days, and the save game and load game times have been erratic. I am guessing that the save game is being tiered onto and off the module. I have even had crashes, and freeze screens in the game since installing the card.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi GRezk,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

The pinning feature is supported only when the primary drive is the one accelerated, regardless of the capacity of the module. It’s not supported at all in the 16GB version because this version was designed to increase the responsiveness of the block of data accessed most often, while the higher capacity modules contain enhanced capabilities to also cache larger data sets such as files and applications.

On the other hand, higher capacities are recommended for gamers, so it may be possible that a 32GB version would be better for your purposes instead of the 16GB version, which is recommended for normal mainstream usage (I am assuming, based on your description, that you have the 16GB version).

I hope this information answered your inquiry.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DiegoV_Intel

Hi GRezk,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

The pinning feature is supported only when the primary drive is the one accelerated, regardless of the capacity of the module. It’s not supported at all in the 16GB version because this version was designed to increase the responsiveness of the block of data accessed most often, while the higher capacity modules contain enhanced capabilities to also cache larger data sets such as files and applications.

On the other hand, higher capacities are recommended for gamers, so it may be possible that a 32GB version would be better for your purposes instead of the 16GB version, which is recommended for normal mainstream usage (I am assuming, based on your description, that you have the 16GB version).

I hope this information answered your inquiry.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos