Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Secondary drive not showing in Optane app

Dave44
Beginner

Hi, I am trying to accelerate a secondary hard drive with Optane on a friend's computer.

Windows 11 is installed onto the Intel SSD (which includes Optane memory). The secondary drive (a hard drive) is used for game installs.

Optane was not disabled before Windows 11 was erased and reinstalled. The secondary drive is not showing in the Optane app. This drive was previously paired with Optane, before Windows 11 was erased.

Having disabled Optane now, is it possible remove old Optane metadata from the hard drive in the BIOS ( "reset to non-Optane") without losing the files already on there, rather than having to wipe the whole drive?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

There are two types of Intel Optane memory: Series M and Series H

Series M Optane Memory is used to accelerate slow HDD in the system (primary with Windows O.S. or secondary with data only). The second type of Optane Memory - Series H, contains both parts on single M.2 media: the Optane Memory and Intel SSD. The Optane Memory in Series H is used to accelerate the slow part of SSD only and it can't be used to accelerate an external HDD.

From your post I understand that you have a Series H SSD, so the Optane part can be used only for the SSD. 

More about this subject here.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Disabling Optane how? Did you do a formal disconnection? Only by doing so will the cached file structure and data be flushed to the HDD. If not, then you will already have HDD corruption. If this is at the drive root, well, you have a mess on your hands and manual data recovery (service?) may be required.

My general comment: Do yourself a favor and don't use Optane. There are reasons why Intel cancelled the program abruptly and took a US$500M loss on their books. 

...S

0 Kudos
Dave44
Beginner

Sorry about the confusion. The existing files on the secondary drive are accessible (no data loss).

I have edited the original post.

I just need to remove the Optane metadata on that drive so I can pair it with Optane again. At the moment I can't (the Intel app doesn't show the secondary drive when asking to pair with a compatible drive). I don't want to go through the hassle of backing up all the files from this drive and copying them back.

I have read elsewhere that when you cannot pair a secondary drive with Optane again, that drive must be erased to remove the "old" Optane metadata. I was wondering if I can just go into the BIOS and "reset to non-Optane" (now that Optane is disabled from the Intel app in Windows, the "reset to non-Optane" may not cause data loss, but allow the drive to be paired with Optane again? That's what I need to know.).

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

"Optane was not disabled before Windows 11 was erased and reinstalled." If I understand correctly what you say in this sentence, you have Windows 11 reinstalled and running on the HDD, but since you didn't disabled Optane engagement with the previous installation, you can't enable Optane acceleration for the current installation? 

If I understood correctly, just wipe the the Optane and it will be ready for new enablement.

But I agree with @n_scott_pearson  that it is much better to not use Optane any more. I prefer to install a fast NVMe SSD in the M.2 slot, in place of Optane Memory and use it for Windows 11 and programs, while the old HDD for data storage.

Leon

0 Kudos
Dave44
Beginner

I should edit the original post again.  Windows is installed on the Intel SSD (which includes Optane memory). Windows is not installed onto the hard drive. The secondary hard drive is used for game installs.

Since Optane was not disabled before Windows 11 reinstallation, the Intel app only allows pairing Optane with the Intel SSD. When I enable Optane in the app and it asks to pair with a compatible drive, it only shows the Intel SSD and not the hard drive. I believe this is because the hard drive needs to be wiped or "reset to non-Optane" so the Intel app can "see" the secondary drive again? Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
Dave44
Beginner

Apparently a drive not appearing in the Optane app must be erased:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Optane-Memory/Intel-Optane-Memory-is-unable-to-see-all-secondary-drives/td-p/663527

Quote from that page (scroll down about halfway)

in the past there have been similar reports where a particular secondary drive cannot be accelerated because it doesn’t appear in the application.

Those issues are usually fixed by formatting the secondary drive and re-initializing it again. For some reason, there is metadata in the drive that prevents it from being recognize properly.

Having said this, I recommend you to perform a low-level format on each drive. Please check the following article that includes some options of third party tools that can help you with the low-level format process:

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

There are two types of Intel Optane memory: Series M and Series H

Series M Optane Memory is used to accelerate slow HDD in the system (primary with Windows O.S. or secondary with data only). The second type of Optane Memory - Series H, contains both parts on single M.2 media: the Optane Memory and Intel SSD. The Optane Memory in Series H is used to accelerate the slow part of SSD only and it can't be used to accelerate an external HDD.

From your post I understand that you have a Series H SSD, so the Optane part can be used only for the SSD. 

More about this subject here.

Leon

0 Kudos
Dave44
Beginner

Thank you for replying.

So if the Optane drive is a Series H, it cannot accelerate a secondary HDD even with the 16.0.2 or later driver?

I'm aware that some Optane drives can accelerate a HDD only when using the 16.0.2 (or later) driver.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Correct, you cannot accelerate a secondary HDD with Series H Optane. Please read the Note here.

Leon

0 Kudos