Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

System Configuration for Optane H10 SSD

D-Sunny
Novice

I've installed a HBRPEKNX0202 SSD in my new Lenovo SSF Workstation. After installing the Intel downloads for the drive along with the current Optane Memory and Storage Management software, I booted it up got the error message from the software, "There are no valid disk pairs in your system".

The drivers are installed and the system is running on the lower part of the memory. I understand the error message indicates the upper and lower memory sections of the drive have not been setup to work together.

I downloaded and installed Lenovo's updates for the drivers, but I have not found the Intel Optane Memory SW/driver Installation Package that the Readme at https://downloadmirror.intell.com/28993/eng/Readme.text, says will accomplish any required system configuration (BIOS settings) upon reboot.

My computer manual gives the instructions for installing or replacing Optane SSD drives. Unfortunately it assumes the system has already been configured for them.

This computer was advertised at "Optane ready" but Lenovo Support tells me I should have bought the SSD drive from them and they would have configured the system for me. They will not give me a copy their SW/driver Installation Package. I've read of others with the same problem.

Can I find the Intel Optane Memory SW/driver installation package on the internet? And, is it safe to use it to make system configurations to my Lenovo Workstation? On my workstation, the SSD drive is mounted on the motherboard.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @D-Sunny.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

We received your thread regarding the Optane Memory H10, I will be glad to assist you.

Your system may be Optane Memory ready, but this does not mean it will support the Optane Memory H10, this needs to be verified with the system manufacturer or needs to be specified in the product specifications. Did you confirm that your system supports the H10 version?

Regarding something you mentioned, "the system is running on the lower part of the memory", does this mean that your system is recognizing both portions of the SSD and the operating system is installed in the "smaller" section? for example Intel® Optane™ Memory 32GB + Intel® SSD 1TB.

Please also let me know the following:

1. The exact model of the system you are using.

2. If Windows 10 is installed in the Optane Memory section of the H10 (small portion), performing a new installation will be required, this time making sure it is installed in the storage (or larger) section.

This is the latest Intel RST driver, installing this driver along with the Optane Memory and Storage Management application should allow you to manage your Optane configuration as long as your BIOS configuration is correct.

1. Intel RST download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29978/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-Installation-Software-with-Intel-Optane-Memory?wapkw=Intel%20RST

2. Optane Memory and Storage Management download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-optane-memory-and-storage-management/9mzng5hzwz1t#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I will follow up on January 7th or we can schedule a different date if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
D-Sunny
Novice

I have a Lenovo ThinkStation P330 SFF, Lenovo 30D10018US

The Lenovo ThinkStation P330 SFF comes with SSD + 3x M.2 PCIe SSD storage support with onboard Intel RST PCIe RAID Standard PCIe NVMe controller. Intel's Optane Memory H10 SSD is the only drive this is intended to support. This SSD is installed as an option on the P330 but, I'm doing the installation myself.

I'm following the instructions from Downloads for Intel Optane Memory H10 with Solid State Storage (Intel Optane Memory 32GB +Intel QLC 3D  NAND SSD 512GB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0). This document can be found at https:downloadcenter.intel.com/product/189613/Iintel-Optane-Memory-H10-with-Solid-State-Storage-Intel-Optane-Memory-32GB-Intel-QLC-3D-NAND.

On page 5 of 12, of Intel's Installation Readme for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28993/eng/Readme.txt) it states:

- Obtain the Intel Optane memory SW/driver installation package and run the executable (SetupOptaneMemory.exe)

- Install the defaults

- When this part of the installation process completes, the system should auto-reboot to continue the process.

- During the reboot, the system will accomplish any required system configuration (BIOS settings) and may reboot.

- When complete, the system will reboot back to the Windows desktop.

I did not run Intel's executable because Lenovo's BIOS and drivers could be different from Intel's. Instead, I downloaded the drivers from Lenovo's site and installed them. However, I did not find the SW on Lenovo's download site that "accomplishes the required system configuation". Can I use Intel's installation package to configure my system?

As I stated before, Windows 10 is installed on the drive. It's on the slower and larger lower portion. I don't think it is possible to manually install anything on the upper portion.

Optane acceleration cannot be activated, but my computer is operational.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @D-Sunny.

Both sections, the Optane and the Storage sections of the SSD should be recognized by the system, you can check in Windows 10 using Disk Management, if this is not the case, we should start by checking the BIOS configuration. If possible, please provide me a screenshot of what you see in Disk Management.

The document you are mentioning seems to be for an old version of Intel RST and the old application (SetupOptaneMemory.exe) that we used to use to manage the Optane Memory; right now you should work with the latest version provided by your system manufacturer or the generic ones I provided in my previous post, installing the Intel RST driver and then the Optane Memory and Storage Management, you may also install the Intel RST driver from the system manufacturer and then the second tool from the Optane Memory and Storage Management.

Your specific error message could be related to other things, but the first one is usually BIOS configuration as mentioned in the following article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056922/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

There are other points mentioned there, like the need to "disable remapping" and also making sure that your Optane H10 is installed in the correct M.2 port (as it may happen that only one of the M.2 ports provides support to enable the acceleration), you may also check if your SATA mode is set to AHCI or Intel RST or RAID, but this will vary depending on the system manufacturer.

Additionally, I would like to know if your Optane H10 is brand new or if t was previously configured in a different system. 

I will follow up on January 8th or we can schedule a different date if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
D-Sunny
Novice

I've installed Intel's most resent driver then did updates on on all the drivers for my Lenovo Workstation.

The Optane H10 SSD was purchased in new condition.

I do not know how the SATA mode should be set or how to do it. I do not know if "mapping" has been disabled or where it should be done.

The drive was installed in the sled on the motherboard as Lenovo intended.

Lenovo Customer Support is adamant about not supporting drives that were not purchased and installed by them.

Attached are screen shots showing the state of the installation.

BrusC_Intel

Hello, @D-Sunny.

Thank you very much for all the information and screenshots.

According to one of your screenshots, the Optane portion of the SSD is not recognized and appears "unknown", at this point this could be related to the BIOS settings or just plain compatibility. Please keep in mind that if the motherboard mentions that it is "Optane ready", it does not necessarily mean it is compatible with H10, but if you already confirmed that it should work, the only one able to provide you further guidance on this is the system manufacturer.

We can provide you with general information and steps like the ones I have provided along with generic drivers, and a general tool, but we cannot confirm if you require any type of special configuration, OEM tool, or BIOS adjustment.

I completely understand that you have already contacted them, and since this is highly related to the system itself, this is the reason why most of our H10 related guides strongly suggest contacting the system manufacturer for detailed instructions specific to your system as there are no other instructions I can provide, and keep in mind that you may also check if they have a community forum, that way you can post there and other users with the same system (or similar) may be able to assist you. 

I will keep the thread open in case other users would like to offer their input or in case there is anything else you would like to share. I will follow up on January 13th.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
D-Sunny
Novice

Other Lenovo owners have claimed to of installed H10 SSD's. I don't know if  they had the same model as I have. I also don't know where they got the software to configure their system so it would be compatible.

I'm taking your advice and posting  the problem on the Lenovo Community board. Thank you for giving the problem your attention.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @D-Sunny.

I hope you get a solution as soon as possible.

I will proceed to close the thread for now and it will no longer be monitored, but please feel free to open a new one and reference this one if required.

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back and use any of the contact methods available (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html).

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
D-Sunny
Novice

I followed your instructions to change my BIOS setting. The SATA configuration setting was RAID. I set it to RST with Optane , saved it, then rebooted. It was not necessary to reinstall my opterating system. I thought problem was solved for sure. But, I got the same error messages from the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management utility; my computer is still not Optane ready and the drive sections are still not paired. However, a third error message now tells me Optane Memory is disabled (attached). How do I enable it?

0 Kudos