Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Your system is not intel optane memory ready or no compatible disk for intel memory

TNazi
Beginner

After replacing ssd with hdd my 16gb Intel Optane Memory stops working on my HP Pavilion x360 - 15-cr0053wm core i5 8th gen and saying that to use minumum 32gb optane memory

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @TNazi​ 

1. You should ask HP support if your laptop will work with Intel Optane Memory. Only laptop manufacturer, responsible for hardware integration may give certified answer.
  2. However you are saying that you have an Optane Module installed and you see it in BIOS, so why you asking if it can work?
  3. Please take your mobile phone and take pictures showing UEFI BIOS with Optane Memory installed in M.2 slot and the PCIe slot enabled.

Leon

View solution in original post

26 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you want to spend the money getting a replacement Optane Memory module (the 32GB or 64GB so you can use the additional features), you should be able to install it in place of the 16GB module and associate it with the SSD right away (it does not have the association with the old HDD that is holding things up now).

Frankly, however, I would consider this expenditure to be a waste. Either stick with the 16GB module or replace it with a super fast M.2 NVMe SSD. The SATA SSD (or HDD) wouldn't be accelerated, but you don't need this capability if you are using it for the storage of your less-frequently-accessed data files (pictures, music, videos, etc.).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
TNazi
Beginner

Hey Thanks for your opinion

I don't use my laptop for just movies and pictures i mostly used it for video editing on software like wonder share filmora or adobe premiere or use adobe photoshop

so tell me what should i do , should i purchase 32gb optane is it worth ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What to do depends upon what you want...

1. A good NVMe SSD will always be faster that a Optane-accelerated HDD/SSD. An unaccelerated HDD should be fast enough for video editing. Your SATA SSD is even better.
  2. A 32GB or 64GB Optane module will allow you to make use of the Folder Pinning and Statistics Collection features. Folder Pinning allows you to say that a particular folder and all contents should always be cached and accessed with best possible performance. This is good for gaming.
  3. The 16GB module you have will work just fine (after you correct the error) and accelerate performance reasonably well (especially with SATA SSD). It won't be as fast as a good NVMe SSD, but, then again, you haven't had to spend the money for the NVMe SSD.

...S

0 Kudos
TNazi
Beginner

which one do you suggest Optane 32gb or M.2 NVMe 256gb ?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Get the M.2 NVMe 256gb. The Optane module will require far too much support.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree with Al. But, understand that the larger the NVMe SSD that you purchase, the better it will perform. Here's an example. For my high-end NUC, I purchased a ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro SSD. Here is a quick table comparing cost and performance:

256GB: Cost US$50, Performance (R/W) 3350/1150.

512GB: Cost US$75, Performance (R/W) 3350/2350. <-- see how much the write performance improved as we doubled the size!

1TB: Cost US$140, Performance (R/W) 3350/2800. <-- even better!

I decided to purchase the 512GB version.

Here is Amazon link if you want to explore this more: https://www.amazon.com/XPG-SX8200-Gen3x4-3000MB-ASX8200PNP-1TT-C/dp/B07K1MDMF3?th=1

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos