Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

can I use optane to store data as portable HDD

HNguy101
Beginner

I want use optane to store data ,and then I will buy a box NVME to plug optane .So I want to ask intel can I do it ?​

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi HNguy101,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Optane™ community.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory is designed to accelerate a SATA drive in your computer. The module is not intended to store data like an SSD.

If you currently have one Intel® Optane™ Memory paired with your HDD, our recommendation is to keep using it that way, and wait until you get a new NVMe SSD to start using the SSD to store data in the way you are explaining.

We hope this clarifies your concern.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Why to use Optane memory as portable HDD? How big is your Optane Memory module? 16GB, 32GB? It was designed to serve as cache memory, rather that for storage purpose.
  2. Better buy external HDD or even USB flash.

Leon

HNguy101
Beginner

because I want use intel optane like USB flash

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may do what you want, however it is strange and not optimal solution.

Leon

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi HNguy101,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Optane™ community.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory is designed to accelerate a SATA drive in your computer. The module is not intended to store data like an SSD.

If you currently have one Intel® Optane™ Memory paired with your HDD, our recommendation is to keep using it that way, and wait until you get a new NVMe SSD to start using the SSD to store data in the way you are explaining.

We hope this clarifies your concern.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos