Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

errors with optane (laptop with intel ssd) Acer Aspire 5 (A514-53)

mystic
Beginner

my optane drive worked well with no issues when i brought the laptop(4 years ago), until after an year or so , the "module is degrading error came". at first i didnt put any attention to it, but then i was introduced to a "no bootable device detected" error during boot, this was for some reason, solved when i switched the drive to AHCL in bios.....

After that point, whenever i tried to enable optane again(optane without raid is bootable now), it would greet me with a variety of errors.

my laptop is functional without optane accelerating but it would be nice if i could enable it.
i did some 'bad' attempts myself of fixing it, like downloading the rst driver from the site.

as of now, i have 3 errors, unsupported cpu and chipset(which is downright wrong, its a laptop with a i3 10th gen processor) and "there are no valid disk pairs in your system"

looking at device manager, i think i have some drivers i am not supposed to, i will attach the same images here, let me know if anything else is needed
i have no idea what to do, please help me out...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. "... i have available is "optane without raid", and it is already running in it..."  Probably this is a nomenclature in Acer Bios. You may ask Acer support.

2. "...turns out all i had to do was clear the metadata..."  How to clear the metadata was described in my previous post, para. 6 trough 11.

3. "...optane is also 27gb instead of 21..."  Your are seeing only 27GB instead of 32GB because some part of Optane memory is used by System for maintenance task. 27 GB is the correct value.

4. I suggest that after cleaning the meta data from Optane part, shrink the "C" partition by 5-15 MB, leaving 5-15 MB un unallocated space in the end of the drive (right after the Recovery partition). Please read the requirements on page 6 of the User Installation Guide.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Sazirah
Employee

Hi mystic,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

As per checking the screenshot provided, it shown no Optane memory. May I know if you have updated the latest driver for the system? If not yet, you may want to check link below for the driver for this Optane:

Software and Platform Support for Intel® Optane™ Memory M Series

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026040/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
mystic
Beginner

i downloaded the i3 10th gen driver, and it fixed the unsupported chipset error, but now i get these errors... as per the screenshot below.

also, is it normal to have 2 rst storage controllers in device manager?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @mystic 

From the attached images, I understand that your laptop is equipped with Intel SSD HBRPEKNX0202A. This a H Series Optane SSD, which is composed from 500 GB slow SSD with 32 GB Optane  accelerator. I understand that you have changed the SATA mode to AHCI. In the SATA AHCI mode you can't use Optane part. I suggest to do the following:

1. Prepare full backup of you system in case that something will go wrong. 

2. Change the SATA Mode from AHCI to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System.  In order to change SATA Mode without destroying Windows boot, Windows must be set to SAFE Boot Mode. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig .  Chose Boot tab and enable Safe boot. Reboot your system. 

3. Now you can change the SATA mode to "Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System". Save the setting  and boot into windows in SAFE mode. Disregard the warning you will see. 

4. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot

5. Reboot your system. Now your system is bootable in "Intel RST Premium with..." mode (however not accelerated).

6. Right click on Windows key and press on Windows PowerShell (Admin).

7. From the command prompt, type diskpart and press Enter. The diskpart prompt will open.

8. From the diskpart prompt, type list disk and press Enter. A list of disks will appear in a text format. You will return to the diskpart prompt.

9. From the diskpart prompt you will need to select a disk disk number of the Optane part (for instance, if the Optane Memory 32 GB drive is Disk 1, you would type select disk 1) and press EnterDiskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk. 

10. From the diskpart prompt, type clean and press Enter. The Optane Memory is now erased and the old enablement is not active any more.

11. Close out of the Command Prompt.

12. Follow the instructions in the Intel Optane Installation Guide.  

Leon

0 Kudos
mystic
Beginner

the only sata mode option i have available is "optane without raid", and it is already running in it...
also, since there clearly seems to be a partition in my optane panel, with all but 2 errors to resolve, is a long clean reinstallation really the solution here?

0 Kudos
mystic
Beginner

also now i detects my optane, forgot to post this screenshot

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi mystic,

Thank you for the update. Please give me some time to check on this from my end and will get back to you on the next resolution for this issue.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
mystic
Beginner

okay, turns out all i had to do was clear the metadata, now i am able to *attempt* acceleration, still get the "no valid disk pair" error...
Below are my disk partitions as i suspect its because of them, optane is also 27gb instead of 21

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. "... i have available is "optane without raid", and it is already running in it..."  Probably this is a nomenclature in Acer Bios. You may ask Acer support.

2. "...turns out all i had to do was clear the metadata..."  How to clear the metadata was described in my previous post, para. 6 trough 11.

3. "...optane is also 27gb instead of 21..."  Your are seeing only 27GB instead of 32GB because some part of Optane memory is used by System for maintenance task. 27 GB is the correct value.

4. I suggest that after cleaning the meta data from Optane part, shrink the "C" partition by 5-15 MB, leaving 5-15 MB un unallocated space in the end of the drive (right after the Recovery partition). Please read the requirements on page 6 of the User Installation Guide.

Leon

0 Kudos
mystic
Beginner
That's what I did an hour or so ago, it worked after a few attempts and some adjustments, thankyou for the support, it's working as intended....
0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi mystic,

We are glad that the issue has been resolved. Since the issue has resolved, we will proceed to close this case at our end. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos