Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

m10 does not work with HDD

PinnaiT
Novice
Hi!,
M10 work with SSD SAMSUNG EVO 850, BUT does not work with HDD TOSHIBA 3T.
I need it to work with the hdd (secondary drive acceleration)
setup:
UEFI MODE (W10 Pro x64 - 20H2 version )
RST ENABLED.
CSM DISABLED.
GTP mode (DRIVE'S).
DRIVERS 18 VERSION.
AHCI (NON RAID)
z370G - OPTANE SUPPORTED
M2_1 slot USED (sata port 0 = free)

Thanks.
Best Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @PinnaiT.

Additionally to what LeonWaksman mentioned, I just noticed in the SSU that your HDD is, for some reason, part of a Microsoft Storage Space, this could be another reason why you can accelerate the Samsung EVO 850 (which is outside of the storage pool), but not the HDD.

Is it possible for you to remove the HDD from the storage pool and check if this makes a difference?

I will follow up on February 1st in case you need additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

14 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. The HDD should have GPT partition (rather than MBR) 

2. In the end of HDD you should create about 10 MB of unallocated space (similar you have on the system SSD)

Leon

PinnaiT
Novice
Hi Leon,
Thanks for your support.

1. Yes, HDD has GTP Mode (no MBR).
2. Yes, i tried this before. I created a 16gb partition of unallocated space and... dont work It ... but i can try again.thanks
Other question: Basic or dinamic hDD volume? I was tried both... And not work yet.

Best regards.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Drive type Dynamic is supported, type Basic is not. 

2. Please read the Secondary/Data Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory and the Optane Memory Installation Guide.

3. You should leave the unallocated space in the end of drive boeing accelerated (i.e. in your case the secondary HDD).

Leon

PinnaiT
Novice

Hi Leon!

Thanks again for your help.

I have the HDD disk in dynamic mode and I have created an unallocated space for it (even much more than necessary, 16Gb)

I have read all the documentation, even the outdated one and have tried everything that can be tested. I've been 3 days hours and hours trying to make it work. This is my last attempt before returning OPTANE m10 as useless.

Here is what happens when I try to speed up the HDD:

In the IOMASM application, when I try to activate the acceleration (After clearing the memory with the check), I press the "activate" button and for 1 thousandth of a second the dotted blue halo appears, but it disappears quickly and nothing happens, leaving the state " disconnected".

With the ssd it works fine.

(I am attaching SSU, and screenshots of my complete configuration. In a next post I will also attach the screenshots of my BIOS settings.)

Thanks again Leon.

Mario.

0 Kudos
PinnaiT
Novice

Hi ,

I also attach the screenshots of my BIOS configuration that I told you

Thanks again Leon.

Mario.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @PinnaiT.

And thank you very much @LeonWaksman  for your assistance.

I was reviewing the information provided and I noticed there is a problem with the article regarding secondary drive acceleration that mentions Dynamic disks.

The drive type should be Basic, this means you will need to delete all the volumes after performing a backup (if necessary) to change the drive type from Dynamic to Basic, you can check the following link for instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-dynamic-disk-back-to-a-basic-disk

To confirm that Dynamic is not supported, please review the Optane installation guide and Optane troubleshooting guide:

- Installation guide (page 5, section 1.4): https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/Optane-Memory-M-Series-Installation-Guide-345866.pdf 

- Troubleshooting guide: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025197/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

I will flag the article with inaccurate information so it can be modified ASAP.

Please let us know if this works for you. I will follow up on January 29th or we can schedule a different date if necessary.

Regards,

Bruce C.

PinnaiT
Novice
Hello Bruce,
Thanks for the note, but I already read different documentation where one said basic and another Dynamic, and I tried both (first basic with deallocated space and the last time, dynamic with deallocated space as well)
None have worked.

Thanks a lot.
Regards.
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @PinnaiT.

Additionally to what LeonWaksman mentioned, I just noticed in the SSU that your HDD is, for some reason, part of a Microsoft Storage Space, this could be another reason why you can accelerate the Samsung EVO 850 (which is outside of the storage pool), but not the HDD.

Is it possible for you to remove the HDD from the storage pool and check if this makes a difference?

I will follow up on February 1st in case you need additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

PinnaiT
Novice
Hi Leon and Bruce! Thank you very much for all the help you have given me to solve my problem with Optane. With your indications I have already managed to make it work on my HDD. the reason it didn't work was because of what Bruce indicated. when i removed the hdd from windows storage space, it already worked !. All the Bios settings were correct and I was only missing that "detail". Again thank you very much, now my hdd has gone from reads from 140 to 900! I attach a screenshot of the old and new performance. Cheers!
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Mario,

You should know that in order to enable Optane acceleration the SATA mode should be set to "Intel  RST Premium with Intel Optane System".  I can see on m2_1RST.jpg that this is the case for the SSD installed in M2_1 slot. However, on BIOS HDD Drive .jpg the SATA mode for HDD is AHCI. 

I don't know all the BIOS settings in your computer and I don't know if "Intel  RST Premium with Intel Optane System" mode is supported for the HDD.  The HDD can't be accelerated in AHCI mode.

If you can change the SATA mode for HDD to "Intel  RST Premium with Intel Optane System" , you should do this. But be careful - backup your system before doing this. In addition, in order to not corrupt Windows boot, it can be done only after setting Windows to SAFE boot mode.  After setting the Windows to SAFE boot mode,  disregard the warning you will see after changing the SATA mode.

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @PinnaiT  and @BrusC_Intel 

Bruce corrected my mistake relating to the drive type. I copied and pasted the wrong information from the outdated document.  Tank you Bruce for correcting.

Leon

0 Kudos
PinnaiT
Novice
Hi Leon,
On the m2_1 I have the m10 optane memory (without ssd, only 16gb of memory without storage)
W10 o.s. it is in ssd evo850.
My motherboard has no more RST configuration than the one I have shown you ... either for the m2 (optane) or for the drives(SATA=RST On)
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are telling me about the hdd, do you propose that instead of AHCI I put it in IDE? Is it possible in 2021? Or do you mean riding a Raid? As always, thank you very much for your help.
0 Kudos
PinnaiT
Novice
Hello again,
In the next screenshot you can see what I tell you. in the BIOS the configuration is first carried out in 2 properties.
In: "Select the SATA mode" / "Seleccion del modo SATA" which is in RST.
and
In: "M2_1 PCIe storage RAID support " , where the Optane m2 memory is located, which is in "RST ", too. Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @PinnaiT 

No, I'm not proposing switch to IDE from AHCI. I'm proposing switching from AHCI to "Intel  RST Premium with Intel Optane System" Only this SATA mode is supported by Optane. Please refer tp para. 3.1 Step 1 in Optane Installation Guide. In this case, you should ask the OEM of your motherboard if Optane acceleration of SATA HDD is supported on this board.

Leon