Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

using bios on compatibility list unrecognized bios unrecognized harddrive

BBria
Beginner

my motherboard is a biostar z270 racing gt4. the 32 gb optane m2. ballistix 8gbx4 dual channel 2400 ram, 820 evo sata Samsung ssd, it's on the list of supported motherboards.

basically I would like to know why it isn't discovering my bios when its on the supported list. I didn't put the most recent rts firmware into my windows iso. However, someone at intel did say it might be possible to install optane without doing that. In the bios the optane supported mode is enabled. However, the optane drive doesn't show up in device manager. I like the motherboard. do I simply need to format the optane drive. I have a recovery partition on the drive from the windows 10 install. I can delete it when I reinstall it. the bios is set to run in uefi mode instead of uefi and legacy. I could use intel drivers for the processor and gpu instead of the ones that came with the motherboard, but I don't really know what else to do to get windows and optane to recognize everything on the board.

I read the discussion about installing the new rst driver into windows 10 until it supports it but in the same discussion it was said this may not be necessary. Installing the drivers into the windows 10 iso may just be done to prevent data corruption. After optane memory installs and switches the drive to intel rapid storage premium with optane support, ahci mode can no longer be used. If it is used the computer crashes. When the sata drive was switched to this mode. my usb network stick stopped working. Hopefully, it is unrelated. There are a couple of important things I'm not sure about though. in ahci mode under device manager the optane memory module is recognized at least after I installed the chipsets excluding the rapid storage technology driver that came with the chipset. I tried it the first time I installed it but I was told rapid storage technology had to be uninstalled to install the newer rapid storage technology with optane support. anyway so long story short in disk management I can see the optane drive in ahci mode. I don't format it. I don't add gpt table or mbr. I thought formatting the drive would make things worse so I didn't do it. The biggest problem is it says I have an unsupported bios when it is on the list of intel optane compatible motherboards. I also tried to install the bios racing gt utility which is probably just for overclocking. I thought it might be firmware so I installed it. when I clicked to use the bios racing gt utility with the computer under intel rapid storage premium with optane. I got a bsod. Under firmware it still says system firmware. the board I use is similar enough to the one in the video that I noticed you didn't plug the sata drive into sata but instead into the two other ports next to it. According to the specifications sheet for biostar the sata 1 port shares the pci-e lane that intel optane memory uses or something. It just seems safer to use the optane drive as a normal drive and not have to worry about constant reinstalling of the operating system. however, what I thought makes optane fast is how it's integrated into the motherboard and if it doesn't recognize that memory controller. Its not going to be worth using.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello fallout4crashtheory,

We understand you're unable to enable system acceleration, receiving an unsupported system drive and BIOS error on the Optane™ software.

Even if your motherboard is Optane™ Memory Ready, you will need to make sure that you're running the latest BIOS release. It's also important to make sure that your BIOS has legacy mode or CSM (Compatibility Support Module) disabled altogether, not just in auto. Unsupported BIOS generally points towards an unsupported BIOS mode, or version, not your motherboard as a whole.

As for your system drive, you will need to make sure your drive uses GPT, not MBR. Another common cause for the unsupported system drive error comes from having an USB flashdrive, an enclosure, or secondary drive installed at the time you went to enable your Optane™ memory. This may cause the software to become confused. To avoid this, make sure to remove any other storage device while enabling system acceleration, you may then add them back afterwards.

If you continue to have issues, please share with us your Optane™ logs, generally found in C:\Intel\logs\. It may also help to download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility and share that report with us as well. To enable attachments, you will need to switch over to the "advanced editor" while replying.

You do not need to worry about adding the RST driver to your recovery image, as this is an optional step. It will not affect your normal functionality, only help if you need to perform a reset or use another feature found in the Windows* recovery.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BBria
Beginner

I moved the drive from sata 1 to sata4l and then moved it back. that didn't fix anything. I just mention it because it might show up in the logs. I disabled csm which gave me no uefi options but afterwards the optane drive was redetected in windows. however in my bios, I have a new rapid storage technology setting which shows the optane drive. However, under nvme drives where the drive used to show up, it is no longer there. the bios is the latest version.

other information: the new rapid storage technology setting under the bios shows intel rst 15.2.0.2740 rst driver

non raid physical drives

sata 0.0 Samsung evo 820

nvme 1.0 32gb optane

I thought installing optane updating the intel rst drivers to the latest version. the intel rst drivers that came with the bios which I didn't install this time are the old 15.2 ones.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For Optane™ Memory to be supported, your BIOS must have RST 15.5 embedded. If this is not the case, you will need to engage your motherboard manufacturer to find out when they will be releasing an Optane™ Ready BIOS for your system.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BBria
Beginner

well I give up but Ive got a pretty good setup working now. I installed the intel rst driver instead of install optanememory.exe and although device manager doesn't recognize the nvme drive now since the bios is set to intel rst premium with optane support. With the optane memory software uninstalled, i was able to install the latest rapid storage technology and although I suppose it didn't recognize it as optane. Intel rst is using the optane memory as an ssd cache for my harddrive. I suppose it will lose some speed but it's good enough.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We're glad you were able to find a workaround.

We'll submit this feedback from our end. However, it is also recommended for you to engage your motherboard manufacturer so that they will let you know once an Optane-Ready BIOS has been released for your motherboard.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos