Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory
Examine Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory
62 Discussions

AEP FW update via node manager command(PECI Proxy command 0x49)

DHuan29
Novice

Hi all,

in Node Manager Spec., there is the Trigger Proxy Access command.

I can utilize it to update AEP device.

I follow the Spec. to implement it, and it works. AEP device can be updated.

but I have a question.

in the byte 5 of this command, there is DIMM index field.

and this one is equal to SMBus address.

so when this one is 0, all of AEP devices should run the command coming from BMC, but actually, they don't, why?

in the SMBus protocol, when SMBus address is 0, it means broadcast.

all of devices on the smbus should run this command, and return a result. do AEP device support this mechanism?

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Dhuan29,

Thank you for your time on this.

The SMBus is selected based upon which memory controller is selected. The possible values are 0 and 1 as there are two memory controllers per package.

Byte 4 – Readings ID

=00h – DCPMM Module Mailbox Data

=01h – DCPMM Module FW Update

Note: after using DCPMM Module FW update, Get Readings command(4Ah) is mandatory to check if operation is success

Others – Reserved

Bytes 5:N – Readings Sub ID

For Readings ID = 00h:

Byte 5

[7] – Reserved

>>> [6] – SMBus bus identifier - valid values are: zero and one – CPU supports two memory controllers and each of them is assigned one bus

[5:3] – DIMM Index (3-bit part of the SMBus address named SA).

[2:0] – CPU number (starting from 0). Intel® SPS FW supports up to 8 sockets for the current platform generation.

Please if you have more questions do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Have a wonderful day.

Best Regards,

Emeth O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Dhuan29,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Optane™ DC Persistent Memory Community. 

I would like to ask you for more information about this process you are trying to accomplish:  

1. Could you please provide me more information about this command you are running?
  2. Do you have a screenshot of the command and its respective output? In order to verify the information and the error code.
  3. Are you running the command using the EFI or directly from the OS of the system?
  4. On the other hand, please provide me more details about this system in which you have the DCPMMs Installed. Is this system and Intel System or a Third Party System?

I will be waiting for your response in order to proceed with the next step.

Have a wonderful day.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
DHuan29
Novice

Hi Emeth,

Q1. in Intelligent power node manager 4.0 revision 2.07, there is the IPMI OEM PECI Proxy command.

under this command, there is the 49h code(Trigger Proxy Access). we use this command for updating AEP FW.

Q2. when we sent this command with 0 (SMBus Address) to AEP device, there was a successful response, but AEP device doesn't update FW. the Staged FW version is 0.0.0.0 after reboot.

Q3. we ran this command with BMC.

Q4. the platform is wolfpass. OS is ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Dhuan29,

1. Could you please so kind and provide us the exact command you are running on this system in order to perform the Firmware Update?
  2. Please provide us a screenshot of this error code you mentioned in order to have a better understanding of this.

So, just to double-check this information you are running the command directly from the Ubuntu terminal, right?

I would like to request some outputs of the following commands in order to verify the information:

• ipmctl show -firmware
  • ipmctl show -dimm

Also, please provide us the exact model of your Intel Server Board and the BIOS version you are running on this system.

I will be waiting for your information in order to proceed with the next step.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
DHuan29
Novice

Hi Emeth.

we use the IPMI OEM PECI Proxy command. this command supports to update AEP DIMM FW.

the command code is 49h(Trigger Proxy Access). please refer to  Intelligent power node manager 4.0 revision 2.07.

there is no error code, os we got a successful response.

we don't run command with ubuntu terminal. we run it with BMC.

regarding to BIOS Version, it is OK.

because when SMBus Address is a correct address, AEP DIMM can be updated and Staged FW isn't 0.0.0.0 after AEP DIMM finishes fw process.

could you tell us that AEP DIMM supports SMBus Address is 0 ?

or SMBus Address has to be an address of AEP DIMM?

for example, if the address of AEP DIMM 1 is 2, we have to set SMBus Address of Trigger Proxy Access command to 2.

the AEP DIMM FW process we built is ok. when we use a correct SMBus address of AEP DIMM, AEP DIMM can be updated successfully.

but if we use 0 as the SMbus address of AEP DIMM, the FW update will be failed, and there is no error code.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

Before to answer your questions, Could you please so kind and provide us the exact command you are running on this system in order to perform the Firmware Update?

Also, please provide us the output of the following commands:

• ipmctl show -firmware
  • ipmctl show -dimm

Best regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
DHuan29
Novice

Hi Emeth,

we don't use ipmctl tool for AEP DIMM FW update.

the command is too long.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Dhuan29,

Thank you so much for your time.

Please let us investigate this type of procedure you are trying to accomplish in order to provide you the most accurate information.

We usually recommend performing the firmware update of the Intel® Optane™ DC Persistent Memory using the Intel Server Board BIOS update that includes the Firmware update of the DCPMM. Moreover, if the board is a third party board the firmware update of the DCPMM should be provided by the manufacture of the server board.

However, please let us double-check if the Intel® Optane™ DC Persistent Memory supports the firmware update through IPMI OEM PECI Proxy commands.

As soon as possible we will get back to you in order to proceed with the next step.

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Dhuan29,

Thank you for your time on this.

The SMBus is selected based upon which memory controller is selected. The possible values are 0 and 1 as there are two memory controllers per package.

Byte 4 – Readings ID

=00h – DCPMM Module Mailbox Data

=01h – DCPMM Module FW Update

Note: after using DCPMM Module FW update, Get Readings command(4Ah) is mandatory to check if operation is success

Others – Reserved

Bytes 5:N – Readings Sub ID

For Readings ID = 00h:

Byte 5

[7] – Reserved

>>> [6] – SMBus bus identifier - valid values are: zero and one – CPU supports two memory controllers and each of them is assigned one bus

[5:3] – DIMM Index (3-bit part of the SMBus address named SA).

[2:0] – CPU number (starting from 0). Intel® SPS FW supports up to 8 sockets for the current platform generation.

Please if you have more questions do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Have a wonderful day.

Best Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Dhuan29,

I would like to know if the information provided helps you to clarify your questions.

If you have more questions do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Have a wonderful day.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
DHuan29
Novice

Hi Emeth,

Thank you for the information.

please close this question.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Dhuan29,

No problem, If you have more questions do not hesitate and let us know and we will be more than happy to assist you.

I hope the information provided helps you to have a better understanding of this implementation and you could successfully update the firmware.

Have a wonderful day.

Best regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos