Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory
Examine Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory

DCPMM population

tbch
Beginner

Hello,

I saw the DCPMM population rules on the website.

APPD.png

In the figure above, the red rectangle shows that one CPU needs only 2 DRAM.

However, In the figure below, the population matrix seems that one CPU needs 6 DRAM.

PMMatrix.png

I am wondering whether the description in the 1st figure is true or not.

If nothing wrong in 1st figure, would the configuration look like the figure below?

matrix.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergioS_Intel

Hello 3000023211241.5682127566329841E12,

We would like to add additional information in regards to the Intel Xeon Scalable Processor Family, each CPU has two iMCs (Integrated Memory Controllers) each providing three memory channels for a total of six channels over a dual-socket system for that reason if you are going to use two processors on your system you need to use two DRAM DIMM because the minimal configuration is 1 DRAM DIMM per iMC (Integrated Memory Controller) for the APP Direct Mode.

Now, regarding the population rules depend on the system/motherboard slot configuration so it is very important to check each model individually with the correct manufacture. 

Further, it also depends on the mode you wish to use and the capacity of DRAM / DCPMM you wish to populate.

Our best recommendation will be to contact the server board manufacturer that in this case is Tyan in order to confirm the possibility of the DIMM Population but on our end the ratio you are trying to use: 1-1-1 is supported to use the operational mode App Direct but using 2 DRAM DIMM per CPU as a minimal configuration. 

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SergioS_Intel

On the first chart, it explains that if you are using App Direct mode you can use 1 Intel(R)Optane(TM) DC persistent memory anywhere on the platform.

On the second chart, it is populating the memory module on a random memory slot on the system.

Additionally, can you please provide to us with the model of the server board that you are using?

Best regards,

Sergio S.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
tbch
Beginner

Hello Sergio S,

I haven't bought a server yet, but this one (https://www.tyan.com/Barebones_GT24EB7106_B7106G24EV4HR) is in my consideration. Due to the limited budget, I need some help to know how to configure a platform which can run correctly under App Direct Mode with minimum cost.

Therefore, I want to know does this mean the configuration in the 3rd figure I put in my previous message is acceptable, as you said "On the first chart, it explains that if you are using App Direct mode you can use 1 Intel(R)Optane(TM) DC persistent memory anywhere on the platform.".

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

We would like to add additional information in regards to the Intel Xeon Scalable Processor Family, each CPU has two iMCs (Integrated Memory Controllers) each providing three memory channels for a total of six channels over a dual-socket system for that reason if you are going to use two processors on your system you need to use two DRAM DIMM because the minimal configuration is 1 DRAM DIMM per iMC (Integrated Memory Controller) for the APP Direct Mode.

Now, regarding the population rules depend on the system/motherboard slot configuration so it is very important to check each model individually with the correct manufacture. 

Further, it also depends on the mode you wish to use and the capacity of DRAM / DCPMM you wish to populate.

Our best recommendation will be to contact the server board manufacturer that in this case is Tyan in order to confirm the possibility of the DIMM Population but on our end the ratio you are trying to use: 1-1-1 is supported to use the operational mode App Direct but using 2 DRAM DIMM per CPU as a minimal configuration. 

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

We are following your question and would like to know if you need further assistance. 

Best regards,

Sergio S.

tbch
Beginner

Hi Sergio S,

I am good now.

I would let you know if I need further assistance.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

You are welcome, we are going to close this thread.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos