Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory
Examine Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory
62 Discussions

What is latest firmware of NMA1XXD128GPS?

smith1122
Beginner

It currently has 01.02.00.5435 but I can't find what the latest version is, neither can I find a place to download any of the firmware - which is disturbing.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello smith1122,

Were you able to review the information provided?

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to update this thread.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
smith1122
Beginner

It's not behaving the way I expect -- from this document (https://pmem.io/ndctl/ndctl-create-namespace.html)

"For NVDIMM devices that support namespace labels, set the namespace size in bytes. Otherwise it defaults to the maximum size specified by platform firmware."

That means the pmem firmware - right?

Seems to be limiting namespace creation to 500GB -- but I want it bigger -- that is why I am looking for latest firmware.

0 Kudos
smith1122
Beginner

I'm running Ubuntu18.04 machine is 

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6240R CPU @ 2.40GHz

0 Kudos
smith1122
Beginner

Ok, there are things called regions, and there are two, which are 500GB each -- I didn't create these, maybe that's the default -- anyway, I think that is what is limiting the size...

But I still think you should publish latest driver and download for people.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello smith1122,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

Intel® Optane™ PMem firmware (FW) is released from internal Platform Portals. The download site requires a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). Your system vendor should access the site for FW downloads. Contact the system vendor. You can also request information about approved versions between BIOS and Intel® Optane™ PMem FW.

For additional details about this, please review the following support article:

Firmware Updates for Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032996/memory-and-storage/data-center-persistent-memory.html

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello smith1122,

Were you able to review the information provided?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello smith1122,

Thank you for your response.

We will proceed to close this thread.

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello smith1122,

Before closing this thread, I would like to provide the following information about your inquiry.

Firmware for non-Intel boards is supplied by the motherboard manufacturer and must be obtained from them. Intel cannot supply firmware for non-Intel motherboards. However, if you are using an Intel Server System, the firmware version is included within the BIOS Firmware Package of the Intel® Server Board.

To give you an example, if you have an Intel® Server Board S2600WF running BIOS Version Version: 02.01.0012, you can find that this update package includes the following firmware version for the Intel® Optane™ DC Persistent Memory Firmware (DCPMM) " 01.02.00.5435" under the Detailed Description section. This version was previously released.

BIOS Version Version: 02.01.0012

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29753/Intel-Server-Board-S2600WF-Family-BIOS-and-Firmware-Update-Package-for-UEFI

If you take a look at the latest version 02.01.0013, the latest firmware version for the Intel® Optane™ DC Persistent Memory Firmware (DCPMM) is "01.02.00.5444".

BIOS Version Version: 02.01.0013

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30174/Intel-Server-Board-S2600WF-Family-BIOS-and-Firmware-Update-Package-for-UEFI

In addition, if you would like to create a file system that is larger than a single namespace, you can use the device-mapper linear target to concatenate the two namespace devices.

# ndctl create-namespace -m fsdax

# ndctl create-namespace -m fsdax

# pvcreate /dev/pmem0

# pvcreate /dev/pmem1

# vgcreate daxvg /dev/pmem0 /dev/pmem1

# lvcreate --type linear -l 100%VG -n daxlv daxvg /dev/pmem0 /dev/pmem1

# mkfs -t xfs -m reflink=0 -d su=2m,sw=1 /dev/mapper/daxvg-daxlv

# mount -o dax /dev/mapper/daxvg-daxlv /mnt/fsdax

For more information, you can review the following website: Managing Namespaces.

https://docs.pmem.io/ndctl-user-guide/managing-namespaces

Regions can be partitioned into one or more namespaces. Namespace operations include listing, creating, destroying, enabling, disabling, and checking (validating) using the following commands:

• list - dump the platform nvdimm device topology and attributes in json format
  • create-namespace - provision or reconfigure a namespace
  • destroy-namespace - destroy the given namespace(s)
  • disable-namespace - disable the given namespace(s)
  • enable-namespace - enable the given namespace(s)
  • check-namespace - check namespace metadata consistency

These regions correspond to the interleave sets on your system. A namespace cannot span multiple regions, so yes, this is most likely the source of the problem.

A region is a grouping of one or more NVDIMMs, or an interleaved set, that can be divided up into one or more Namespaces. Regions are of type PMEM or BLK. See PMEM or BLK modes for more information. Regions can only be created, destroyed, and configured using the vendor specific NVDIMM utility that manages the NVDIMMs or BIOS options, if available.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos