Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Cannot optimize drive (using Trim functionality): "Error: The Intel SSD Optimizer encountered an error (10/106). Reboot and try again."

MKohl9
Novice

Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox Version 3.5.12

as well as

Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox Version 3.5.13

Error message when trying to run "Intel SSD Optimizer"

Intel SSD Optimizer error "...(10/106)".

Reboot, update and reinstallation do not solve error.

When I try to run the "Clear the internal cache of the SSSD to bost performance" the system crashes to a blue screen and restars

1. What is the model of the SSD?

Intel SSD 660p Series 2 TB, latest firmware

2. Have you tried other Intel drives?

I don't have any other Intel drives

3. What version of Windows do you have?

Windows 10 Professional 64bit, 2004 Build, installed on the affected drive-> 2004 bild is is where the issue started.

Using the previous Win 10 build, everything worked without issues

4. How are you connecting the drive to the system?

NVME / PCIe

5. Have you tried using the previous version of Toolbox (3.5.12)?

Yes, both this and the most recent one have the same issue

Answers to other possible questions:

0 Kudos
19 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MKohl9.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I was checking your ticket regarding the Intel SSD Toolbox and the SSD 660p, I will be glad to assist you.

I performed the update to 2004, tried to run the Optimizer and got the same error asking me to reboot, then Optimizer started working fine after that.

Paint 02.jpg

Do you have the latest Intel Client NVMe driver installed? check if the issue persists after installing the driver and restarting the system.

Regarding "Clear internal cache", I tested this several times and my system crashed every single time no matter what I tried, so I will need to get back to you on this one.

Wold you mind testing the Optimizer and Clear Internal Cache (Performance Booster) using the Intel Memory and Storage Tool?

Finally, I would like to know if you can provide us with the full system report using Intel SSU, just generate the report, save it as a file and attach it to this thread using the paperclip icon (remember to select "everything" in the SSU menu).

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MKohl9
Novice

Good morning Bruce and thank you for your answer.

Please find below the answers to your questions as well as the Intel SSU Error Log.

Best Regards,

Matt.

I performed the update to 2004, tried to run the Optimizer and got the same error asking me to reboot, then Optimizer started working fine after that.

-> Several reboots, did not work for me

Intel_SSD_Toolbox_Error.PNG

Do you have the latest Intel Client NVMe driver installed? check if the issue persists after installing the driver and restarting the system.

-> Yes, I had the latest drivers (4.4.0.1003), still re-installed / repaired it using your link -> did not fix the issue

Wold you mind testing the Optimizer and Clear Internal Cache (Performance Booster) using the Intel Memory and Storage Tool?

-> "Optimizer" stops with an error, "Performance Booster" starts and around 30% creates the same Bluescreen as the Intel SSD Toolbox

IntelMAS_Error.PNG 

Finally, I would like to know if you can provide us with the full system report using Intel SSU, just generate the report, save it as a file and attach it to this thread using the paperclip icon (remember to select "everything" in the SSU menu).

-> Done with "Everything" checked. Attached to my post here

Win_10.PNG

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MKohl9.

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot.

Please allow me to review this information and discuss the case here.

I will contact you back soon.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A Contingent worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MKohl9.

Can you please confirm the following:

• Optimizer requires a minimum of 1GB of free space on the drive to run.
  • The drive must not be a Storage Space member.

Your BIOS SATA mote, ist AHCI or Intel RST? (I understand your drive is NVMe, this is to gather other config details).

From the drive itself, can you provide me with the SMART report and drive details using the Intel Memory and Storage Tool CLI?

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29337/

- Used guide and installation guide

- To list the drive connected to the system, use the command "intelmas show -intelssd"

- To get the drive details from a specific drive, use the command "intelmas show -all -intelssd X".

- To get the SMART information, use the command "intelmas show -smart -intelssd X".

- To get the event log, use the command "intelmas dump -eventlog -intelssd X" (this is generated on the IntelMAS folder).

- Just replace the X with the drive index.

Please make sure the latest NVMe driver is currently installed (I understand you mentioned it already is, I just want to double-check)

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
MKohl9
Novice

Good morning Bruce

Can you please confirm the following:

Optimizer requires a minimum of 1GB of free space on the drive to run.

-> I had at any time, before the Windows 10 build upgrade and now always at least 1 TB (not GB) free of space on this drive

The drive must not be a Storage Space member.

-> What is this / how can I check that?

Please make sure the latest NVMe driver is currently installed (I understand you mentioned it already is, I just want to double-check)

-> It is the most current NVMe driver: 4.4.0.1003. I also repaired it again and restarted the computer before starting the event logs.

SSD_Firmware.PNG

NVMe driver.PNG

Your BIOS SATA mote, ist AHCI or Intel RST? (I understand your drive is NVMe, this is to gather other config details).

AHCI with INTEL RST Disabled. Please check my 2 BIOS-Screenshots attached.

IMG_20200606_063822.jpg

IMG_20200606_063852.jpg

- To list the drive connected to the system, use the command "intelmas show -intelssd"

-> Works, Intel 660p is has the drive index "3"

- To get the drive details from a specific drive, use the command "intelmas show -all -intelssd 3".

-> Works, but I already see some NVMe driver error messages desipite having it installed

- To get the SMART information, use the command "intelmas show -smart -intelssd 3".

-> Does not work. "Status : The selected drive does not support this feature."

- To get the event log, use the command "intelmas dump -eventlog -intelssd 3" (this is generated on the IntelMAS folder).

-> It is over 400 MB and in a BIN-format (which the forum here seems not support?). I created a Google Drive Folder and sent the link via PM for you to access it.

Edit: I zipped it down to around 2 MB and will attach it in a new, separate post.

0 Kudos
MKohl9
Novice

Addition to my post: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000005xEeiSAE

ZIP containing the eventlog-BIN as well as what Intelmas-CMD spat out.

Best regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MKohl9.

Thank you for the files and all the other information.

Regarding Storage Spaces, you can check this in Control Panel > Manage Storage Spaces, but we can disregard it since you are not aware of this, you would have to have done it manually, you can still check just in case.

The error using “show -all” asking you to install the driver can be ignored too, I get that as well in different systems with known working units, seems to be oriented toward DC NVMe drives.

What is interesting is the error about the drive not supporting the SMART command, I will double-check on that.

So far I have tested on ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 and ASUS X299 TUF Mark 2, new OS installs, updated to 1909 and no issues, then to 2004 with no Optimizer issues as well.

Please allow us to review this and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MKohl9.

Thank you very much for waiting and for all the information you have provided.

We will continue working on this and I have received confirmation that a new release of the Intel Memory and Storage Tool GUI is planned to be released in the next couple of weeks to address the current situation.

I have also tested the Performance Booster in Intel MAS after removing the Intel client NVMe drive and restarting the system, this seems to work since the BSOD is not occurring (although the Optimizer will not run), so this is something you may try in the meantime.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, MKohl9.

This message is to let you know that we will keep your ticket open until a new Intel MAS version is released (should happen soon).

This is for us in order to ensure the issue is no longer present with the new version or in case further assistance is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
GarryR
Beginner

Hello, I to am having the same issues I am using on 3 separate PC's 2 x 545s SSDS 2 x 512 and 1 is a 256 Gb.

I have 2 desktops on sata configured in IDE mode and 1 PC configured in UEFI mode. The whole 3 PC's now will not optimise and flash up the same error "Error: The Intel SSD Optimizer encountered an error (10/106). Reboot and try again." this has just started after I updated from Win 10 1909 to Win 10 2004, all 3 worked fine on Win 10 1909.

I recall having this same issue when we all updated from Win 10 1903 to 1909. Intel eventually fixed the issue, by the way I have also tried it on the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool to no avail, it still fails,

The toolbox and the  Intel® Memory and Storage Tool both incompatible with Win 10 2004, please Intel fix it for us.

Cheers Garry

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @GarryR 

Good day,

Thank you very much for reporting that this issue is happening in three different systems you own.

As you may already know, we are still waiting for the new Intel Memory and Storage Tool version to address this issue affecting some customers after the OS update.

I will keep monitoring the release of the new tool and you may also check the downloads page for the new version, once it has been released and it goes online, I may also send you and @MKohl9 a private message if I happen to be available the day of the release.

If the use of the Optimizer feature is urgent, you may try to perform a rollback to a previous OS version to try and run it, or wait a bit longer for the release of the new tool version.

Regarding the current threads, we will proceed to close them for now, but they may be reopened withing 14 days by replying to this message if necessary.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
MKohl9
Novice

Thank you very much. Looking forward for the new version, hoping it will work (again).

Best regards.

0 Kudos
ober9000
Beginner

I have the same problem. The problem started just after updating to Windows 10 2004.

The SSD is is a NVMe INTEL SSDPEDMW40 (this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0153P9SEK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Upgrading to the latest Version of Intel SSD Toolbox didn't help. Exact same error.

OS is Windows 10 Education if that helps.

0 Kudos
MKohl9
Novice

Hi there.

Update due to new Intel MAS GUI version.

What I did:

1. Updated Intel MAS GUI to the most recent version (1.1884 from 7th July 2020)
  2. Restartet the computer
  3. SSD Optimizer did not work (see attachement)
  4. Performance Booster did work (see attachement)
  5. Updated Firmware from 002C to 004C (see attachement)
  6. Restarted the computer
  7. SSD Optimizer still did not work
  8. Performance Booster did work

@BrusC_Intel You want me to do another Intel SSU dump and upload it here?

Best regards,

Matt

Attachement:

Zip-Files of Error-Message

0 Kudos
dpw2atox
Beginner

I just wanted to toss in that I have the same issue as well. When I first got my 660p 512GB nvme SSD it worked fine. I saw this thread so I was waiting to see if the new memory and storage tool resolved the issue. Just like others here, after installing the new version, 1.1.884, and updating the firmware to 004c I am able to now run the performance booster but still not the SSD Optimizer. I do have a intel 335 SSD that works fine so its just the 660p with the issue. I am also on the updated windows 10 2004 and after the update is when my issues also began.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @MKohl9 and @dpw2atox .

Thank you very much for your reports.

Right now the BSOD caused by the Performance Booster seems to have been fixed completely, but we are currently investigating more about the issue with the Optimizer.

Please allow us to work on this and I will get back to you if we require anything else.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Sérgio
Beginner

Same issue here with 660p (model SSDPEKNW010T8).
Just would like to add that it started with Windows 1909.
Used to worked fine with SSD Toolbox 3.5.13 and first appeared  with update 3.5.14 (causing BSODs).
Now I'm using MAS Tool GUI 1.1 (Firmware 004C), Windows 2004 and the issue persists (without BSODs).

0 Kudos
meb58
Beginner

I too am having the same difficulty but with SSD 530 Series.  This began just a few days ago.  Diagnostic scans appear to work fine...firmware is the most recent, 3.5.14.400

Thank you,

Michael

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Sérgio and @meb58.

Thank you for taking the time to check the forums and also for posting to report the issue.

We continue working on this problem, so there is no solution at the moment.

It is currently recommended to perform the Trim or Optimization directly from Windows 10 while this is under investigation, using the following steps:

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. Open "Defragment and Optimize Drives".

3. Select the drive to be optimized from the menu.

4. Click "Optimize" (administrator privileges required).

Windows 10 will periodically take care of this automatically depending on the default schedule, which can be changed in the same window.

Please feel free to open a new thread if you consider it necessary or in case other problems arise.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos