Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

INTEL MAS | CentOS 7 | intelssd selftest error : device does not support

Sarath_AK
Beginner

Hi Guys, 

In my server, I am using Intel Optane SSD DC P4800x with CentOS 7. 

I have installed Intel MAS Version 2.0.33  to run a self-test for the above-mentioned SSD. 

When I try to run a self-test I am getting an error. 

Command :

# intelmas start -intelssd 0 -selftest 'extented'

# intelmas start -intelssd 0 -selftest extented

Output :

Error : Device does not support this command set

Kindly, Let me know what is the issues and how to run the nvme self-test for this SSD. 

SSD information is attached for your reference. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Sarath_AK.

Thank you very much for waiting.

I confirmed that this functionality was included for the Intel Optane DC P5800X series, so it is not supported by other Intel Optane SSDs, but you can continue using the health monitoring method previously described.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know, and I will follow up on July 11th just in case.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Sarath_AK.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your case regarding the health monitoring using Intel MAS, and I will be reviewing this with you.

Generally, to monitor the health of this SSD we would use the health information and the critical warnings value, which is triggered when certain SSD values cross specific thresholds.

> intelmas show -intelssd X -nvmelog SmartHealthInfo

You can review the following article, more specifically the section for PCIe:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055367/memory-and-storage/data-center-ssds.html

If you have any questions, just let me know, and I will follow up on July 1st just in case.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Sarath_AK.

I wanted to follow up on your thread to check if you had any questions regarding my previous response.

I will follow up one more time on July 6th before closing the thread, so please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Sarath_AK
Beginner

Hi Bruce, 

Sorry for the delay. 

As you said in the previous response, we can get the device's health information. Thought that I can check a few parameters like critical error, media error, etc,.

I want to know what exactly the issue is and why my device is not supporting the self-test command. To run a self-test we need to satisfy any dependencies?

Please update. 

Regards,

Sarath K

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Sarath_AK.

Good day,

Please allow me to confirm if there are any limitations or additional details I can share, and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Sarath_AK.

Thank you very much for waiting.

I confirmed that this functionality was included for the Intel Optane DC P5800X series, so it is not supported by other Intel Optane SSDs, but you can continue using the health monitoring method previously described.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know, and I will follow up on July 11th just in case.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Sarath_AK.

Good day,

I just wanted to follow up on this thread to check if you had any other questions.

The support ticket will be closed on July 14th in case we do not hear from you, so please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Sarath_AK.

This post is to inform you about the thread closure.

I previously shared that the error is normal since that feature was introduced for the P5800X series, so it is not supported on other Optane drives, but you can still monitor the SSD health using the commands and attributes we discussed before.

The thread will be closed right now and will not be monitored by Intel support since there was no confirmation about further assistance being required.

I hope this resolution works for you, but if you have any other questions or concerns that require assistance from Intel, please open a new thread, or contact us via any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos