Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Installing Intel NVMe driver 1.7.0.1002 on Windows 10 Anniversary Update creates Event Log Errors - "The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver."

EEsca1
Novice

I did a clean install 4 times trying to find the source of the following errors I was getting in my event log:

Event ID: 45

Log Name: System

Source: volmgr

Level: Error

The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

Event ID: 46

Log Name: System

Source: volmgr

Level: Error

Crash dump initialization failed!

And then a repeat of the first error a couple of seconds later.

I eventually narrowed the cause down to installing the driver NVMe driver 1.7.0.1002 for the Intel 750 SSD. Uninstalling the driver makes the errors go away.

I suspect it's related to this issue:

I also have issues now installing AOMEI Backupper 3.5 Standard for similar reasons. Certain drivers in it won't install because they are not digitally signed, though it worked fine on Windows prior to the Anniversary update. It looks like the Anniversary Update is a LOT harsher about making sure everything is signed.

I suspect 1.7.0.1002 is causing a similar problem with the crash dump driver, but (at least to me) it's not giving a helpful message about the digital signature the way the AOMEI driver installation attempts did.

I will add that, when I installed the 1.7.0.1002 driver, I got a ton of messages in the Event log about the SSD device not able to be removed because of a 101 different running processes - however, I'm pretty sure I always saw those messages whenever installing this driver on older versions of Windows, and they didn't seem to cause any lasting problems then.

Relevant System Specs:

ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard

Intel i5930k processor

Intel 750 SSD

Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update 1637, all current (as of 08/13/2016 11am EST) updates applied.

Seeing as the poster in that other thread didn't have issues with the previous Intel NVME driver, I'll try installing 1.5.0.1002 and report back.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EEsca1
Novice

Confirmed - Intel NVME driver 1.5.0.1002 does NOT generate these errors in the Event log.

Note also that the 1.7.0.1002 driver didn't cause this issue prior to the Windows 10 Anniversary update, so it seems it's definitely related.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. I initially updated to the 1607 build via an in-place update rather than a clean install. I had 1.7.0.1002 installed when I did that update, and I did not get the errors then. So I guess it was grandfathered in somehow. Point is, you won't see the errors on an in-place update, at least not if the driver was already installed prior to the update. Has to be a clean install and then attempt to install the driver.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Qwinn,

Thanks a lot for bringing this to our attention.

We would like to report this right away as well, just like the other thread you suggested in your previous post. Our team will be working on this situation, and we will be including your findings related to the Windows® 10 anniversary update.

We will keep you posted with any news.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Qwinn,

We have the confirmation that the signed version of the driver will be available today in the following https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26167/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Family-for-NVMe-Drivers link, please let us know if that works fine for you.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

NC
EEsca1
Novice

Thank you! I am at work now but I will have the results posted here by 6pm EST.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Qwinn,

No problem, we will be waiting for your inputs. Have a nice day.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
EEsca1
Novice

Success! No more crash dump driver errors. Thank you all kindly for the quick fix, and good work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Qwinn,

Those are great news, very glad that it worked and thank you for all the feedback provided.

Have a great day.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos