Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Intel Optane 900p Windows 10 vs Windows 7 Benchmark

s_lim
Beginner

I have intel optane 900p 280GB installed to PCIe x16 (CPU) slot.

The problem is that in Windows 10 64bit (clean install) in a different benchmarks, results up to twice worst in a random read/write and latency than in Windows 7 64bit (clean install).

I have made a lot of tests! Install, reinstall drivers, updates, changing setting in bios, but result every time the same.

Now I have two OS (with latest intel nvme drivers, fully updated, latest MB drivers) on intel optane ssd, win10 and win7, and made screenshots of benchmark.

What is wrong with Windows 10?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello s_lim, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can review the following information: • Based on https://ark.intel.com/products/123623/Intel-Optane-SSD-900P-Series-280GB-2-5in-PCIe-x4-20nm-3D-XPoint- the expected performance is : Performance Sequential Read (up to) 2500 MB/s Sequential Write (up to) 2000 MB/s And your drive in booth test using different OS gave you better results that the ones published. • We noticed that there is a difference on the settings of the crystal disk tool at the moment of running the benchmarks that could be one of the reasons of the difference that you noticed. • Please take into consideration that if you are booting from the same SSDs that you are running the benchmark it may affect the results. We hope you find this information helpful. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
s_lim
Beginner

Hello Josh B.,

Thank you for reply.

Sequential speed is great in both OS, but the question was about random speed.

The different setting in crystal disk tool is not the answer, I have made a lot testings with different settings, but result always the same.

I agree with you that if I booting from the same SSDs that I'am running test tool can may affect the results, but both testing conditions was the same.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello s_lim, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I did a bunch of testing a while back on Optane in and out of VROC setups comparing systems with Specter and Meltdown on and off and determined that Optane is extremely sensitive to these patches in terms of 4KQ1T1 speed.

If I were you I would try disabling Specter and Meltdown mitigation and testing again on Windows 10, I suspect that you will see a huge improvement.

Here is a link to my testing:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/meltdown-and-specter-patch-performance-hit-tested-on-optane-and-vroc.421594/

0 Kudos
s_lim
Beginner

Hello BHarr8,

Yes, it's true, patches impact to ssd performance,

I have installed win 10 two years old .iso that doesn't contain that patches and made tests, the differences is huge.

But win 7 without patches still have better performance. 

Both screenshots is without Specter and Meltdown patches, Top - win 7, Bottom - win 10.900p_win7_wo_patches.jpg900p_intel_drv_win10_wo_patches.jpg

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello s_lim, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello s_lim, Thank you for your reply. As mentioned in our previous post your drive seems to be working as expected and the difference can be due to different reasons like the fact that you are booting from the same SSD that you are running the benchmark, regarding the difference in results, it is expected to have a difference in results when you run the benchmark using different OS settings and tools, this difference does not mean that there is something wrong with the hardware and could be more related to the software. We hope you find this information helpful. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
s_lim
Beginner

Hello Josh B.

I'm trying to find solution what kind of settings in windows 10 can impact to performance, in case that OS fresh installed, without any software.

Drivers is not a solution.

I found in the web 900p optane benchmarks on win 10 OS that have results like mine on win 7.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello s_lim, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello s_lim, Thank you for your reply. The Windows settings that can impact the performance may vary from PC to PC since the hardware, drivers and windows build that is installed on the system. This being said you we advise you to consult with Microsoft regarding the different settings. We will like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello s_lim, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
s_lim
Beginner

Hello Josh B.,

You can close this case. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello s_lim, Thank you for your reply. As per your consent, this case is now close if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos