Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

SSD 540s firmware update failure

FWest1
Novice

Hello,

I tried to update the firmware of an Intel SSD 540s to LSF031C. The Intel firmware update tool (issdfut_2.1.3.iso) was run from a bootable USB flash drive.

The firmware update tool gave this firmware update failure message:

"The Intel SATA Firmware Update did not complete. Please try the following:

1) Disable the drive password in the computer's BIOS

2) Enable SMART features in the computer's BIOS

3) Enable legacy IDE mode in the comuter's BIOS"

# 1: There is no drive password set in the BIOS.

# 2: I couldn't find any reference to SMART in the BIOS. I know however that SMART is enabled, since SMART data is shown in the Intel SSD Toolbox program (Win7).

# 3: The drive boot mode is set to Legacy in the BIOS, but it's unclear to me if this is "legacy IDE mode".

The 540s SSD is in an Intel NUC5PPYH.

Current SSD Firmware: LSBG200

SSD FUT: 2.1.3

NUC Visual BIOS: 2.2.20

Would you try to update the firmware at all, given this https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00053&languageid=en-fr vhttps://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00053&languageid=en-fr ulnerability report?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

62 Replies
kb71
Beginner

Dern,

1. Yes. Made sure I was on a wired connection and re-downloaded 2.1.5.iso during off peak hours.

2. Yes.

I'm glad your's worked. In all my years, I've never had this difficult of an issue updating FW. Been doing it since the Pentium Pro days.

0 Kudos
DFoom
Beginner

540s,

I forgot to mention, I did a secure erase of the 540s using intel SSD toolbox on windows, before updating the firmware. did you try that?

Hopefully your issues will be resolved with a replacement drive. Good luck.

0 Kudos
NSg1
Beginner

540s M2 ssd 240GB, I have an intel nuc 5i5ryh, bios 0358, i m trying to update to 2.1.5, currently am in LSBG100. I have tryied to update (Legacy Only) with universal usb installer 1.9.6.6, with ultraiso, with iso to usb and rufus 2.10 but i cant. nuc boots from usb and loads some files but never reached the first screen with licence aggreement. I have aslo used 2 different usb sticks. Any solution?

0 Kudos
DFoom
Beginner

insomnia125, try this.

1. Sometimes bios legacy boot mode will NOT boot to USB drives with a partition larger than 2GB. Try partitioning to 1GB before using iso tools.

2. Under SATA, set "chipset SATA mode" to IDE

3. Disable "UEFI BOOT"

4. Disable "secure boot"

5. Enable "USB legacy"

6. Don't forget after firmware update change the above settings back.

Last resort, if USB 3.0 ports still don't work, try the USB 2.0 ports located on the internal motherboard header, or a Sata DVD drive with burned ISO.

0 Kudos
NSg1
Beginner

Dern, Under SATA, set "chipset SATA mode" the only available options is AHCI and RAID not IDE. I use AHCI. Could i try RAID?

0 Kudos
DFoom
Beginner

Insomnia125,

RAID uses AHCI so it should make no difference. I would leave it on AHCI. Also make sure the hard drive ATA password in the bios is blank.

0 Kudos
MSSD
Beginner

Dear NC,

I also got the same problem after tried to update firmware SSD 540s. The error I found is the same as "540s" described previously.

I've tried on different 4 machines with 4 different motherboards (Asrock 880GM-le, Asus P4P800SE, Asus P5WD2 Premium, and MSI H97 Gaming 3).

All of them created the same error as shown in the attached pic. I've adjusted IDE or legacy in BIOS and follow every suggestions but result are the same on every machines.

Could you please develop new firmware updating method for 540s, which base on windows instead of the current linux ? I think it's much more easier for all user.

Remark:

- The drive itself works perfectly and I already installed Windows 7 64bit. Only one proplem is I cannot upgrade its firmware.

- Current SSD Firmware is LSBG200 and I tried SSD FUT v.2.1.5.

- USB and CD-RW upgrading method create the same error.

0 Kudos
IIlia1
Novice

I have the same problem as maymee.

Only in my case I use a NUC6i7KYK.

Now, if you login as root (no password needed) and run the commands "init 3" and then "init 5" you will get a message that module i915 cannot be found in modules.dep. This means that the provided by intel iso does not include the kernel graphics driver needed to run X in the nuc (and possibly other internal graphics only systems).

So, please Intel, provide us a working iso in order for the firmware update to be performed!

0 Kudos
hsaav
Beginner

Im using a t460s with the 6gen intel CPU and also have the same errors.

is there a way to bypass this GUI bull$hit and run the firmware upgrade on commandline?

0 Kudos
IIlia1
Novice

I tried again with only a minimum devices connected to the system (Monitor, Keyboard, mouse and the usb key with the firmware).

This time, the firmware update started and run just fine.

Probably the NUC6i7KYK is too new for the Linux kernel used in the firmware update iso.

0 Kudos
AKuzn5
Beginner

Hi! I cant update my ssd using your instruction. Look at my settings at the photos and result at the last photo. Motherboard: MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC. I Used different programs to record iso on usb.

Sata mode: only "RAID" or "AHCI".

Boot mode select: only "Legacy+UEFI" or "UEFI"

I have only unbaord grafics card.

I have only MB onboard graphics port.

0 Kudos
hsaav
Beginner

I managed to update my SSD on my friend's PC which had an M.2 SSD slot running the intel 4th gen CPU (i5-4690K or something like that).

So the easiest way is to upgrade the SSD on an older system.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Model : SSD intel 540s 1To (m2 sata)

Firmware Version : LSBG100

Computer : Clevo P671RS-G

I have the same issue than Gematid but the problem is i am on laptop with an intel Graphics 530 and a nvidia geforce GTX1070 and so i can't remove the nvidia card.

What can i do to upgrade my SSD Intel 540s Firmware ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i have the same problem... i can't boot the firmware update from Usb or cd for my Intel 480 GB 540's SSD. all i got is black screen with white letters just like the people described above. i have a Z87X-D3H Motherboard updated with the latest bios version (F9)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

We would like to all of you to try the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26378/iRMFUU-for-Intel-SSD-540s-Pro-5400s-E-5400s-DC-S3100-Series-FW-Update following tool in order to install the latest firmware version on your SSDs. Please make sure to read the file: "iRMFUU_FW_Update_Process" which comes in the zip file and contains all the instructions on how to run this tool.

Please let us know if the tool worked or not, any feedback will be highly appreciated it.

Regards,

NC
FWest1
Novice

Hi NC,

Thank you for your message. The new tool worked fine here. My 540s 120GB was updated from LSB031C to LSF036C without any error messages.

And the SSD is working OK after the update

Thank you for your work on this.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fritzz,

We are so glad to hear the new tool worked just fine and that your SSD is now updated. In case you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
MSSD
Beginner

Dear NC,

In my case (running on windows 7 64bit), the new tool is still useless......(pls also read my previous comment no.44)

..........really disappointed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maymee,

Have you restarted the system and try the tool again? This just to verify if the update was indeed applied or not.

Second, have you tried different systems?

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
MSSD
Beginner

I've tried the new tool with the other two machines (one is asus laptop), restart, and also try it in safe mode but the result are the same. I think ssd 540 has some problem in some production lot.

I decide not to try anything anymore, this's enough for me. Intel ssd 540 is the most difficult IT product to update firmware.....this is the rare case for me.

Goodbye Intel ssd, I already gave it to my brother and now I got samsung 850 evo!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi maymee,

This is weird as we have reports from several users that they used the tool and worked fine. There is definitely something else with the drive or compatibility.

We do understand you have purchased a different drive now, so our assistance on this is no longer required.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos