Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
435 Discussions

Which file system types are recommended for SSD6 Optane SSD?

matanster4
Beginner

Would this type of SSD provide performance leverage when using F2FS or other file system types as opposed to plain ext4? Are there any benchmark or workload consideration documents to consult for this, short of making one's own experiments each in isolation?

This is being asked in a linux context in case that matters ...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, matanster4.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket involving the performance and file system of the SSD, I will be glad to assist you.

Since you mentioned "SSD6 Optane SSD", I would like to know if you have a particular model in mind, for example, one from the SSD 6 Series or one from the Optane 8 or 9 Series:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/consumer-ssds.html

Regarding the question itself, there is no official documentation about similar tests, but there are some evaluation guides that may provide you with other details, just keep in mind they are designed for benchmarking purposes where the drive was partitioned and formatted in NTFS:

- Evaluation Guide for Intel® SSD 660p Series: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/consumer-ssds/Intel_SSD_660p_EvaluationGuide337971.pdf

- Evaluation Guide for Client Intel® Optane™ SSD's: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/IntelOptaneSSD_900P_SeriesEvalGuide.PDF

If I can provide you with any type of assistance, please let me know.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
matanster4
Beginner
Thanks you so much! My specific model as per the packaging belongs in the 660p Series, and the product code is: *SSDPEKNW010T8X1* Unfortunately, I doubt I can get any informative value from documents dealing only with the NTFS file system type, if that's what you mean when pointing out these particular documents? Happy to learn more, Matan
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, matanster4.

I wanted to share the evaluation guide in case you could find anything useful in them since there are no other documents where different file systems are taken into consideration.

If I can try to help you with anything else, just let me know.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, matanster4.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to the Intel® SSD 660p Series, and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
matanster4
Beginner
Yes, but I believe you are unable to provide it. I was basically told you have no relevant materials or advice for usage with Linux systems regarding the context of my question.
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, matanster4.

I understand.

I will proceed to close the thread if there is no contribution from the community.

The only possible recommendation right now would be for you to open a similar thread in the community forums of the Linux distribution you are using (or other), to check if other users in those communities have done something similar and can provide you helpful information.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos