Intel® Optimized AI Frameworks
Receive community support for questions related to PyTorch* and TensorFlow* frameworks.

intel optane memory

Bob17
Beginner

installed intel optane on my Dell XPS 8940 it us supposed to be able to have optane but when i try to install it it says no valid disk pairs in you system or say i have to have a chipset of 200 or higher it is a 470 chipset i am lost keeps going back and forth

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Bob.

Good day,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your thread regarding the Optane Memory errors during setup, and I will be reviewing this with you.

With this being a Dell system, my initial recommendation is to review with them the necessary driver and BIOS configuration for your system to work with Optane Memory, since they can provide you with more details and let you know if there are any specific limitations or requirements.

I can still help you with some general information and guidance, first, what type of Optane Memory are you trying to install?

Optane Memory is designed to accelerate exclusively SATA devices (and some limited Intel NVMe SSD 6 series). If your system already has an NVMe SSD as the primary drive (and there are no secondary SATA devices), the application will inform you that there are no valid disk pairs.

More details about this and Optane types here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058286/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

If you are trying to install an Optane Memory H10/H20 series, keep in mind this Optane H series is designed to work as the primary drive in the system.

If your system works with Intel VMD technology, you can review the following article, some of the steps may not be exactly the same as in a Dell system, but still helps as a reference:

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, and I will follow up on October 6th in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Bob.

Good day,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your thread regarding the Optane Memory errors during setup, and I will be reviewing this with you.

With this being a Dell system, my initial recommendation is to review with them the necessary driver and BIOS configuration for your system to work with Optane Memory, since they can provide you with more details and let you know if there are any specific limitations or requirements.

I can still help you with some general information and guidance, first, what type of Optane Memory are you trying to install?

Optane Memory is designed to accelerate exclusively SATA devices (and some limited Intel NVMe SSD 6 series). If your system already has an NVMe SSD as the primary drive (and there are no secondary SATA devices), the application will inform you that there are no valid disk pairs.

More details about this and Optane types here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058286/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

If you are trying to install an Optane Memory H10/H20 series, keep in mind this Optane H series is designed to work as the primary drive in the system.

If your system works with Intel VMD technology, you can review the following article, some of the steps may not be exactly the same as in a Dell system, but still helps as a reference:

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, and I will follow up on October 6th in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Bob17.

I wanted to follow up on your this ticket to check if you had any questions regarding my previous response.

I will follow up again on October 11th before closing the thread.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Bob17.

This message is to inform you about the thread closure.

I previously recommended to review with Dell the implementation of that particular Optane Memory in that system, and also shared some additional details regarding Optane Memory, but there was no response after trying to follow up.

The thread will be closed right now, and no longer monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos