Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

10G Example design simulation tcl error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I am new to the Altera/Intel framework and maybe some of the questions I am going to ask are really dumb. I am still getting used to the new interface and I don't know where all the options are. 

I am trying to create the 10G Example design based on the Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC IP. The project creation and Analysis & Synthesis work as expected but when I try to simulate the design I am facing some problems with the tool. 

As stated in the [intel arria 10 low latency ethernet 10g mac design example user guide (https://www.altera.com/documentation/nfa1438753448747.html)], to simulate the design at the command prompt I go to the simulation folder and run the following command. 

vsim -c -do tb_run.tcl  

I see the following output of the terminal 

# Top level modules:# altera_eth_10g_mac_base_r# End time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017, Elapsed time: 0:00:00# Errors: 0, Warnings: 0# Start time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017# vlog ./../../../rtl/altera_eth_10g_mac_base_r_wrap.v # Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 10.5b Compiler 2016.10 Oct 5 2016# -- Compiling module altera_eth_10g_mac_base_r_wrap#  

... a lot more of the same, and at the end ... 

# Top level modules:# altera_eth_10g_mac_base_r_wrap# End time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017, Elapsed time: 0:00:00# Errors: 0, Warnings: 0# Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 10.5b Compiler 2016.10 Oct 5 2016# Start time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017# vlog -sv ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/altera_xcvr_native_a10_functions_h.sv -work altera_common_sv_packages # -- Compiling package altera_xcvr_native_a10_functions_h# # Top level modules:# --none--# End time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017, Elapsed time: 0:00:00# Errors: 0, Warnings: 0# Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 10.5b Compiler 2016.10 Oct 5 2016# Start time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017# vlog -sv ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/alt_xcvr_resync.sv -L altera_common_sv_packages -work altera_eth_10gbaser_phy_altera_xcvr_native_a10_170 # -- Compiling module alt_xcvr_resync# ** Warning: (vlog-2070) Existing protected design unit "alt_xcvr_resync" is being recompiled as unprotected.# ** Fatal: Unexpected signal: 11.# ** Error: ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/alt_xcvr_resync.sv(97): Verilog Compiler exiting# End time: 13:50:12 on Nov 07,2017, Elapsed time: 0:00:01# Errors: 2, Warnings: 1# ** Error: /home/pablo/intelFPGA/17.0/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem/vlog failed.# Error in macro ./tb_run.tcl line 38# /home/pablo/intelFPGA/17.0/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem/vlog failed.# while executing# "vlog -sv ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/alt_xcvr_resync.sv -L altera_common_sv_packages -work altera_eth_10..."# ("eval" body line 1)# invoked from within# "eval vlog -sv $USER_DEFINED_COMPILE_OPTIONS "$QSYS_SIMDIR/../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_na..."# ("eval" body line 37)# invoked from within# "com"  

As I am using the unmodified generated reference design so I wasn't expecting to face this kind of problems with the simulation.  

The error appears to be in this file:  

Error: ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/alt_xcvr_resync.sv(97): Verilog Compiler exiting 

The content of the file is the following code. The line where the error is pointed is the last endmodule of the code. 

`timescale 1ps/1ps module alt_xcvr_resync# ( parameter SYNC_CHAIN_LENGTH = 2, // Number of flip-flops for retiming. Must be >1 parameter WIDTH = 1, // Number of bits to resync parameter SLOW_CLOCK = 0, // See description above parameter INIT_VALUE = 0 ) ( input wire clk, input wire reset, input wire d, output wire q ); localparam INT_LEN = (SYNC_CHAIN_LENGTH > 1) ? SYNC_CHAIN_LENGTH : 2; localparam L_INIT_VALUE = (INIT_VALUE == 1) ? {INT_LEN{1'b1}} : {INT_LEN{1'b0}}; genvar ig; // Generate a synchronizer chain for each bit generate begin for(ig=0;ig<WIDTH;ig=ig+1) begin : resync_chains wire d_in; // Input to sychronization chain. (* altera_attribute = "disable_da_rule=D103" *) reg sync_r = L_INIT_VALUE; assign q = sync_r; // Output signal always @(posedge clk or posedge reset) if(reset) sync_r <= L_INIT_VALUE; else sync_r <= {sync_r,d_in}; // Generate asynchronous capture circuit if specified. if(SLOW_CLOCK == 0) begin assign d_in = d; end else begin wire d_clk; reg d_r = L_INIT_VALUE; wire clr_n; assign d_clk = d; assign d_in = d_r; assign clr_n = ~q | d_clk; // Clear when output is logic 1 and input is logic 0 // Asynchronously latch the input signal. always @(posedge d_clk or negedge clr_n) if(!clr_n) d_r <= 1'b0; else if(d_clk) d_r <= 1'b1; end // SLOW_CLOCK end // for loop end // generate endgenerate endmodule  

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 with Quartus II 17.0 

Do you have any idea what could cause the problem with the simulation script? I am still learning how to properly use Quartus II and probably someone with more experience can clearly see what the tool is complaining about. 

Thanks in advance for your time :)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Regenerating the example design and running again the script solved the problem. I don't know what was wrong, but now it works.

0 Kudos