Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15329 Discussions

10G Example design simulation tcl error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I am new to the Altera/Intel framework and maybe some of the questions I am going to ask are really dumb. I am still getting used to the new interface and I don't know where all the options are. 

I am trying to create the 10G Example design based on the Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC IP. The project creation and Analysis & Synthesis work as expected but when I try to simulate the design I am facing some problems with the tool. 

As stated in the [intel arria 10 low latency ethernet 10g mac design example user guide (https://www.altera.com/documentation/nfa1438753448747.html)], to simulate the design at the command prompt I go to the simulation folder and run the following command. 

vsim -c -do tb_run.tcl  

I see the following output of the terminal 

# Top level modules:# altera_eth_10g_mac_base_r# End time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017, Elapsed time: 0:00:00# Errors: 0, Warnings: 0# Start time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017# vlog ./../../../rtl/altera_eth_10g_mac_base_r_wrap.v # Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 10.5b Compiler 2016.10 Oct 5 2016# -- Compiling module altera_eth_10g_mac_base_r_wrap#  

... a lot more of the same, and at the end ... 

# Top level modules:# altera_eth_10g_mac_base_r_wrap# End time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017, Elapsed time: 0:00:00# Errors: 0, Warnings: 0# Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 10.5b Compiler 2016.10 Oct 5 2016# Start time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017# vlog -sv ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/altera_xcvr_native_a10_functions_h.sv -work altera_common_sv_packages # -- Compiling package altera_xcvr_native_a10_functions_h# # Top level modules:# --none--# End time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017, Elapsed time: 0:00:00# Errors: 0, Warnings: 0# Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 10.5b Compiler 2016.10 Oct 5 2016# Start time: 13:50:11 on Nov 07,2017# vlog -sv ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/alt_xcvr_resync.sv -L altera_common_sv_packages -work altera_eth_10gbaser_phy_altera_xcvr_native_a10_170 # -- Compiling module alt_xcvr_resync# ** Warning: (vlog-2070) Existing protected design unit "alt_xcvr_resync" is being recompiled as unprotected.# ** Fatal: Unexpected signal: 11.# ** Error: ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/alt_xcvr_resync.sv(97): Verilog Compiler exiting# End time: 13:50:12 on Nov 07,2017, Elapsed time: 0:00:01# Errors: 2, Warnings: 1# ** Error: /home/pablo/intelFPGA/17.0/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem/vlog failed.# Error in macro ./tb_run.tcl line 38# /home/pablo/intelFPGA/17.0/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem/vlog failed.# while executing# "vlog -sv ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/alt_xcvr_resync.sv -L altera_common_sv_packages -work altera_eth_10..."# ("eval" body line 1)# invoked from within# "eval vlog -sv $USER_DEFINED_COMPILE_OPTIONS "$QSYS_SIMDIR/../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_na..."# ("eval" body line 37)# invoked from within# "com"  

As I am using the unmodified generated reference design so I wasn't expecting to face this kind of problems with the simulation.  

The error appears to be in this file:  

Error: ./../../../rtl/phy/altera_eth_10gbaser_phy/altera_xcvr_native_a10_170/sim/alt_xcvr_resync.sv(97): Verilog Compiler exiting 

The content of the file is the following code. The line where the error is pointed is the last endmodule of the code. 

`timescale 1ps/1ps module alt_xcvr_resync# ( parameter SYNC_CHAIN_LENGTH = 2, // Number of flip-flops for retiming. Must be >1 parameter WIDTH = 1, // Number of bits to resync parameter SLOW_CLOCK = 0, // See description above parameter INIT_VALUE = 0 ) ( input wire clk, input wire reset, input wire d, output wire q ); localparam INT_LEN = (SYNC_CHAIN_LENGTH > 1) ? SYNC_CHAIN_LENGTH : 2; localparam L_INIT_VALUE = (INIT_VALUE == 1) ? {INT_LEN{1'b1}} : {INT_LEN{1'b0}}; genvar ig; // Generate a synchronizer chain for each bit generate begin for(ig=0;ig<WIDTH;ig=ig+1) begin : resync_chains wire d_in; // Input to sychronization chain. (* altera_attribute = "disable_da_rule=D103" *) reg sync_r = L_INIT_VALUE; assign q = sync_r; // Output signal always @(posedge clk or posedge reset) if(reset) sync_r <= L_INIT_VALUE; else sync_r <= {sync_r,d_in}; // Generate asynchronous capture circuit if specified. if(SLOW_CLOCK == 0) begin assign d_in = d; end else begin wire d_clk; reg d_r = L_INIT_VALUE; wire clr_n; assign d_clk = d; assign d_in = d_r; assign clr_n = ~q | d_clk; // Clear when output is logic 1 and input is logic 0 // Asynchronously latch the input signal. always @(posedge d_clk or negedge clr_n) if(!clr_n) d_r <= 1'b0; else if(d_clk) d_r <= 1'b1; end // SLOW_CLOCK end // for loop end // generate endgenerate endmodule  

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 with Quartus II 17.0 

Do you have any idea what could cause the problem with the simulation script? I am still learning how to properly use Quartus II and probably someone with more experience can clearly see what the tool is complaining about. 

Thanks in advance for your time :)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Regenerating the example design and running again the script solved the problem. I don't know what was wrong, but now it works.