Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

3rd party simulator?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Im about to buy a simulator to use with QuartusII. Can anyone recommend any special simulators? 

The demands are - it should be able to handle mixed-mode and gate-level simulation. The system is low speed (max 10 MHz). 

Regards, 

Morten
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ModelSim PE is very popular, and I have used it for years. It's debug capability is good enough and it is easy to use. You can start with the GUI and go to scripting. I have a few aquintances who have purchased simulators for other companies and all but one purchsed modelSim. 

The documentation is pretty good, but one bit of tribal knowledge that I would like to pass along is the -t timescale option. When you are simulating Altera PLL's, you need to use -t 1ps to account for the format of how Altera specifies their PLL models. Also, functional simulation PLL models, last I checked, assume ideal outputs and don't actuall lock to your input clock. So, if you want to try slight clock variations of frequency, be aware a PLL model may quash that.
0 Kudos