Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16683 Discussions

ACEX in Quartus2 / Licensing older versions of Quartus2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

I need to make some changes to an ACEX1k part. 

Last time I did this (years ago), I used Quartus2 v4.1sp2 Web Version. 

Tried this with latest Quartus2 Web Version, but failed 'cuz ACEX is no longer supported in Quartus2. 

Installed Quartus 4.1 Web Version, but couldn't build because my license had expired. 

Tried to get a license from Altera website, but couldn't because newer versions of Quartus2 don't require one. 

Is there a way to get a license so that I can run my older version of Quartus2 v4.1sp2? 

Thank you 

Scott Wild
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Scott: 

Since I have the subscription version, I don't know when they switched the web edition from using a license file to not, but I just verified that the ACEX1k was still supported in version 8.1 of Quartus, so that may be easier to get than a license for version 4.2.. 

I'm a contractor and have multiple versions running for various clients so I know it's present in 8.1 and gone in 9.1, I've read some 9.0 release notes that give the impression that it's still running there, but since I've moved all my 9.0 clients to 9.1 already, I can't verify that without re-installing it. 

I know you can download 8.1 web edition from the Altera ftp site. It may be worth a try. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it looks like the last version for ACEX 1K might be 9.0sp2. i think 8.1 and on did not require a license for web edition: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-rn-q2_archive.jsp
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Version 8.1 did the trick! 

Thank you for the help! 

It looks like the TimeQuest timing analyzer doesn't support the ACEX1k, but Quartus still appears to build the programming file even though the timing analyzer fails. 

Thanks again 

Scott Wild
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Classical Timming Analyzer is still available for device families not supported by TimeQuest.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For some reason, Quartus is giving me a TimeQuest failure error even though the 'Use Classic Timing Analyzer during compilation' is set.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think i've seen this before. search your .qsf for timequest, if its not in there it could be in the .qdf

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yep, it was in the .qdf file. 

all is well now. 

Thanks again! 

Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

great, i think this happens in older projects opened up in newer software

0 Kudos