Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

AHDL fuctional simulation in Quartus 10.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a bunch of AHDL code that I need to re-use. I'd like to switch to Quartus 10.1. Question: Is there *ANY* way to functionally simulate AHDL anymore? There's got to be a work around, since AHDL is still supported in 10.1, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work using ModelSim. What's up?! Am I just screwed? 

-Dano-
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you'll need to do a post-map simulation

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

...since AHDL is still supported in 10.1, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work using ModelSim. What's up?! Am I just screwed? 

--- Quote End ---  

Actually, yes, you are. 

Contact Altera and, like so many others here, demand continued full support for AHDL, a return of the native Quartus simulator, and any other useful legacy features you find missing or obscured. 

//A 

BTW "post-map simulation" does not mean terribly much.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think post-map simulation has a specific meaning. here's a how-to summary: 

go to Assignments > Settings > EDA Tool Settings > Simulation, choose a simulator, then click More EDA Netlist Writer Settings and turn Generate netlist for functional simulation only On 

then run Analysis and Synthesis, then EDA Netlist Writer. the top level of your design will be exported as a post-map .vo/.vho and can be run in your simulator. use the ModelSim Waveform Editor (in Altera Edition 6.6c for 10.1 or later) and you've got AHDL simulation with a graphically created stimulus - not all that different from Quartus II 9.1sp2
0 Kudos