Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Altera reference design for deep learning systems

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all 

In the solution sheet titled "Efficient Implementation of Neural Network Systems Built on FPGAs,Programmed with OpenCL" (available at https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/solution-sheets/efficient_neural_networks.pdf) the statement is made : 

"Additionally, Altera has developed a scalable convolutional neural network reference design for deep learning systems using the OpenCL programming language built with our SDK for OpenCL. This design was first implemented on the Stratix® V device series, and is now available for Arria® 10 device" 

I have been searching everywhere, but have been unable to locate this reference design or instructions for obtaining it anywhere. Does someone know where I can obtain it or who I can e-mail to find out?  

Any hints will be highly appreciated. 

Regards 

Hannes Naude
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you have to implement your Neural Network..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I think you have to implement your Neural Network.. 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry, I am puzzled by your response:confused: 

The referenced document says: 

"...is now available for Arria® 10 device." 

Available may mean that it is a free download, or it may mean that it can be bought at a price from a vendor, or it may mean any number of other things, but it usually does not mean, "you can have it if you code it yourself".  

Obviously I need to customize the design to my own requirements, but I thought it was clearly stated that I am looking for the reference design. 

I was expecting to find it here https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/opencl.html but nothing in that list seems to match.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Maybe results on Arria 10 are available, not the design. 

--- Quote End ---  

Maybe, but that is not what their doc says: 

"This design was first implemented on the Stratix® V device series, and is now available for Arria® 10 device"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe "Now that Arria 10 devices are out the design is available for that devices.." :) 

Anyway you can try to contact Altera to clear any doubt. Let we know if design is available.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

available does not means for free ....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

available does not means for free .... 

--- Quote End ---  

Nor does it mean available apparently. Not unwilling to pay, not sure where you got that impression. We've also been in contact with their local representative who claims something along the lines of Altera only working with a few select partners on this, because they don't have the manpower to support the "product". Which is fine, but then don't publicly claim that it is "available".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have released an opensource design for CNNs, you can find it on github.com/doonny/PipeCNN.

0 Kudos