Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Array of integer to std_logic_vector !?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello guys ! 

Description : the input is an std_logic_vector ..... the outpout must be an std_logic_vector BUT, 

I read every element of the input and check if it is '1' then write 1 to an array else write -1 . 

the final array should be converted to an output which is an std_logic_vector !!!! 

For example 

INput : std_logic_vector (5 downto 0) :="010101"; 

====> array = { -1 1 -1 1 -1 1} 

OUTput : std_logic_vector (5 downto 0); 

What are the possible solution to go from array to my output?!!!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That sounds like a crazy idea. Why are you converting a 6 bit bus into a 12 bit bus (2 bits is required to cover 1 and -1) AND the original 6 bit data. Im guessing you're trying to find the number of 1s compared to number of 0s? 

anyway you can easily do it. 

type int_array_t is array(5 downto 0) of integer range -1 to 1; signal my_ar : int_array_t; ... for i in my_ar'range loop if input(i) = '0' then my_ar(i) = -1; elsif input(i) = '1' then my_ar(i) = 1; else --cover illegal states in simulation my_ar(i) = 0; end if; end loop;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Obviously it is easy to do the 1 and -1 statements, I've already did it, BUT my problem is with the output of 12 bits !!! How to do it ?!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

convert the integer to the signed type: 

use ieee.numeric_std.all;; op : out signed(1 downto 0); op <= to_signed(some_integer, op'length);  

Ill let you work out the arrays of 12 bits etc as I assume this is some assignment. There are plenty of VHDL tutorials out there.
0 Kudos