Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

CPU uasge by the fitter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I am using quartus 9.0 . When i run qaurtus on 4 core processor , the fitter summary report that it is using only 1.6 . Thus the amout of time required to compile is 40 min. Is there a way to increase the processos usage . The option "use all processors" is also set.  

Thanks  

AVINASH
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi 

I am using quartus 9.0 . When i run qaurtus on 4 core processor , the fitter summary report that it is using only 1.6 . Thus the amout of time required to compile is 40 min. Is there a way to increase the processos usage . The option "use all processors" is also set.  

Thanks  

AVINASH 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Avinash, 

not all fitting tasks could run in parallel. I would assume that setting to "use all processors" 

will not change the average usage. Did you run other programms on your QuadCore PC during fitting ? Maybe the average usage of processors could be increase by the use of design partitions. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi GPK 

I made design parition for some modules with post-fit(strict) Netlsit type . Then i changed in non partition module and recompiled , then the partition merging is happening quikly , but the fitter is taking tha same time as earlier and thus the total time taken still remain the same, there is no reduction in the compile time. So is there a way to reduce the compile time? The design need to be recomplied many time so need to reduce the complie time.  

Thanks 

AVINASH
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi GPK 

I made design parition for some modules with post-fit(strict) Netlsit type . Then i changed in non partition module and recompiled , then the partition merging is happening quikly , but the fitter is taking tha same time as earlier and thus the total time taken still remain the same, there is no reduction in the compile time. So is there a way to reduce the compile time? The design need to be recomplied many time so need to reduce the complie time.  

Thanks 

AVINASH 

--- Quote End ---  

what kind of "Fitter Preservation Level" did you set for your design partitions ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

placement, routing and high speed tiles

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi 

Thanks  

AVINASH 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Avinash, 

Not all algorithms in Quartus can take advantage of multiple processors. The processor usage you get will depend on your particular circuit. In general, very large designs (those that take hours to map or fit) will see a larger relative benefit than smaller designs, though there's a lot of variation. 

Cheers,  

Adrian Ludwin 

Altera Corp.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Adrian  

I made design parition for some modules with post-fit(strict) Netlist type and fitter preservation level as placement routing and high speed tiles . Then i changed in non partition module and recompiled , then the partition merging is happening quikly , but the fitter is taking tha same time as earlier and thus the total time taken still remain the same, there is no reduction in the compile time. So is there a way to reduce the compile time? The design need to be recomplied many time so need to reduce the complie time. 

regards 

AVINASH
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Adrian  

I made design parition for some modules with post-fit(strict) Netlist type and fitter preservation level as placement routing and high speed tiles . Then i changed in non partition module and recompiled , then the partition merging is happening quikly , but the fitter is taking tha same time as earlier and thus the total time taken still remain the same, there is no reduction in the compile time. So is there a way to reduce the compile time? The design need to be recomplied many time so need to reduce the complie time. 

regards 

AVINASH 

--- Quote End ---  

Personally, I work more on parallel stuff than on incremental compile, so I can't help that much. Did you floorplan your design with LogicLock regions? My only suggestions would be to read the handbook chapter on incremental compilation and carefully read the info messages from the Fitter.  

Cheers, 

Adrian Ludwin 

Altera Corp.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok  

Thanks 

AVINASH
0 Kudos