Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

Can't use 'numeric_std_unsigned' package in Quartus prime lite edition v15.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using quartus prime lite edition v15.1, trying to write a register file in vhdl. In my code i need to use ' numeric_std_unsigned' package, but an error pops up saying : 

--- Quote Start ---  

Error (10481): VHDL Use Clause error : design library "IEEE" does not contain primary unit "NUMERIC_STD_unsigned". Verify that the primary unit exists in the library and has been successfully compiled. 

--- Quote End ---  

I checked VHDL'08 in compiler settings but the error is still there.I think that quartus prime has incomplete support for VHDL'08 and i cann't use some packages 

so, it'd be great help if any one can tell me what to do to be able to use 'numeric_std_unsigned' package. 

Here's my code: 

library IEEE; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.all; use IEEE.numeric_std_unsigned.all; entity regfile is port( clk: in STD_LOGIC; regwrite: in STD_LOGIC; rs, rt, rd: in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(1 downto 0); data_in: in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(15 downto 0); rd1, rd2: out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(15 downto 0)); end; architecture behave of regfile is type registerFile is array (3 downto 0) of STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(15 downto 0); signal registers: registerFile; begin process(clk) begin if rising_edge(clk) then if regwrite='1' then registers(to_integer(rd)) <= data_in; end if; end if; end process; process(all) begin if (to_integer(rs)=0) then rd1 <= X"0000"; else rd1 <= registers(to_integer(rs)); end if; if (to_integer(rt)=0) then rd2 <= X"0000"; else rd2 <= registers(to_integer(rt)); end if; end process; end;
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

name is "numeric_std" without that extra unsigned

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I already tried it. New error occurs related to 'to_integer' it says : 

-->can't determine type of object at 'to_integer', found 0 possible types !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

try 

to_integer(unsigned(x));
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks it worked, BUT now it's saying : Error (12007): Top-level design entity "Part1" is undefined  

( part1 is the name of my project)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oh i forgot that the name of entity is different from the name of the project, i modified it..Everything is Okay now.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

name is "numeric_std" without that extra unsigned 

--- Quote End ---  

numeric_std_unsigned is basically the VHDL standard version of the synopsys package std_logic_unsigned. it allows you to treat std_logic_vectors as unsigned values. it was added in VHDL 2008, along with numeric_std_signed. 

Quartus does only support minor features of VHDL 2008 - mostly just the easier to use features (like generates and case statement changes). Support for anything useful and major like the new packages has not arrived (and Im guessing unlikely to arrive until some major customers request it). 

The (small) list of supported features can be found here: http://quartushelp.altera.com/15.0/mergedprojects/hdl/vhdl/vhdl_list_2008_vhdl_support.htm 

Vivado now has better 2008 support (though it's still nowhere near complete). 

If you really must have 2008 support - I think synplyfy has it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Many thanks for the info :D

0 Kudos