Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16822 Discussions

Connecting Function Generator with FPGA

Daiyan
Beginner

I want to take square wave with 1Hz frequency (50% duty cycle) generated from a function generator as input to the FPGA board (Cyclone V, 5CSEMA5F31C6N). I am trying to give a square pulse of 1hz as input to the FPGA. So to test how to take an input from an external source I wrote the following basic code:

module frequency(input imp,
           output op); 
assign op = imp;  
endmodule 

The function generator output was given to the  GPIO_0[0] (PIN_AC18) and output pin was chosen as: LEDR[0]. When I upload the program after pin assignment, the LEDR0 only remains high, it does not blink from high to low (since square wave oscillates from 0 to 1 and 1 to 0 at each clock cycle.

How can I solve the issue ? How can I read a digital signal from the function generator in the FPGA ? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
FvM
Honored Contributor I

Hi,
the photo suggests that you have no ground connection between generator and FPGA board, only (red) signal line. Also the oscilloscope probe used to send function generator output is probably a 10:1 probe, involving a large series resistance.

According to photo, you are also feeding GPIO_0_34 (JP1 pin 39) rather than GPIO_0_0  (JP1 pin 1).

Just in case, notice that input voltage must not exceed the range of 0..3.3 V.

Regards
Frank

0 Kudos
Daiyan
Beginner

Hello Frank,

Thank you very much. My pin planning was wrong. Now it works.

-Daiyan.

0 Kudos