Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Constraining pin assignments from.pin file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've compiled a design for a Max II CPLD using Quartus 12.1 and would like to constrain the pinout using the last pin assignments that Quartus automatically assigned during the compile and that are indicated in the .pin file. Is there a way to import the .pin file pin assignments or some other way to constrain the pins without having to manually constrain them in Pin Planner or edit the .qsf file? Seems like a fairly simple problem, but I'm not finding a simple solution.  

Thanks, 

GMM
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can generate a TCL file that sets the project up as it is (Project -> Generate TCL file for Project). 

This contains the set_location_assignment lines you need to cut and paste into the *.qsf. 

Not completely automated but pretty quick. 

Nial.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The pin assignment editor can import a CSV table of assignments, but you'll need to do some editing to convert the .pin file into a .csv.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, thanks. I was able to do what I wanted by selecting Assignments > Back-Annotate Assignments. Then Selected Pin & device assignments in popup & click OK. This back-annotated pin assignments from .pin file to .qsf file (could only see .qsf file assignments after exiting Quartus). 

GMM
0 Kudos