Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Detecting a tansition in a signal

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

This is my first post, hope I am doing things right 

I have come across a situation which completely challenges my understanding of how and when the evaluation of signals in a process takes place.  

The following snippit should explain my problem. 

By the way, i am using Quartus Prime and the target is a DE2-115 board. 

Thanks 

-- This was written to highlight a shortcoming in my understanding 

-- about when signals are evaluated. 

-- I expected the counter to only increment once the KEY input  

-- turns from a '1' to a '0' 

-- With KEY at a '1' level for some time, both KEY and PrevKEY will be at '1' levels. 

-- Suppose that after the most recent clock cycle KEY turns to a '0' 

-- At the next clock transition, surely KEY(0) will be a '0' and PrevKEY(0) would still be '1' 

-- This should produce a single increment of the counter ????  

-- what actually happens is that PrevKEY is totally ignored 

-- the counter increments all the time while the key is a '0' 

library IEEE; 

use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; 

use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL; 

use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL; 

entity Try is 

port 

CLOCK_50 : in std_logic; -- Generated by DE2 board 

KEY : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); -- Four pushbutton keys on De2-115 board 

LEDR : out std_logic_vector(17 downto 0) -- a group of red LEDs on the De2 board 

); 

end try; 

architecture rtl of try is 

-- signal Counter : integer range 0 to 7 := 0; -- I tried using an integer did not work either 

signal Counter : std_logic_vector(2 downto 0); -- and also a std-logic_vector 

signal PrevKEY : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); -- this holds the previous value of the four keys 

begin 

process(CLOCK_50) 

begin 

if rising_edge(CLOCK_50) then 

if KEY(0) <= '0' and PrevKEY(0) <= '1' then 

Counter <= Counter + 1; 

end if; 

PrevKEY <= KEY; 

end if; 

end process; 

-- LEDR(2 downto 0) <= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(Counter, 3)); -- this was when I tried the integer 

LEDR(2 downto 0) <= Counter; 

end rtl;
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Because you have used <= (less than or equal) in your compare, it is comparing a single bit to a single bit with a less than doesnt really mean much. KEY(0) <= '0' is always true when KEY = '0', and PrevKey <='1' is true when PrevKey is '0' or '1', so the equation can be reduced to: 

if key(0) = '0' then counter <= counter + 1; end if;  

PS. Have you debounced your keys elsewhere? you may get several increments of counter without debouncing the key presses. 

As a beginner, I also recommend you get into the habit of not using std_logic_unsigned. It is a non standard VHDL package. Numeric std is the real IEEE standard.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks very much for your response. It was a typo on my side, I accidentally typed the "<=" when it was supposed to be just a "=', but I never noticed it, no matter how long I looked at my code. 

The reason I am using 4 keys as a vector is that they appear like that on the DE2-115 board and I was using the standard assignment file which came with the board. 

The KEY signals are electronically debounced on the DE2 board.  

Thanks too for the reminder about NUMERIC_STD. Will always use that in future. 

Regards Stephen
0 Kudos