Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16677 Discussions

Dual-Purpose Pins in Quartus 10.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there, 

i have switched my project from Quartus 8.2 to Quartus 10.0 

My Configuration scheme is Active Parallel. 

(Active Serial has the same problem). 

After Device configuration i want to use the configuration pins as regular IO's. 

My Problem: 

Under Quartus V10.0 i can not set the Dual-Purpose Pins to "Use as regular I/O". 

DCLK can only set to "Use as programming pin" 

Data[1]/ASDO can only set to "As input tri-stated" 

Data[7..2] can only set to "As input tri-stated" 

FLASH_nCE/nCSO can only set to "As input tri-stated"  

Other Active Parallel pins can only set to "As input tri-stated"  

Is this a Quartus 10.0 problem ?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As a temporary workaround, you can try to specify a different configuration scheme in device configuration (e.g. PS), but actually use AS. I had to use this solution in some cases with previous Quartus revisions.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

As a temporary workaround, you can try to specify a different configuration scheme in device configuration (e.g. PS), but actually use AS. I had to use this solution in some cases with previous Quartus revisions. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks,  

i have set the configuration scheme to PS. 

Now i can set all pins to "Use as regular I/O". 

exeptionn DCLK. DCLK still can only set to "Use as programming pin". 

Compilation is aborded with the message: 

Error: Can't place multiple pins assigned to pin location Pin_K2 (IOPAD_X0_Y27_N14) 

Info: Pin dclk is assigned to pin location Pin_K2 (IOPAD_X0_Y27_N14) 

Info: Pin ~ALTERA_DCLK~ is assigned to pin location Pin_K2 (IOPAD_X0_Y27_N14) 

So i still can not use the EPCS Controller in my design, because i can not set all general purpose pins to "Use as Regular I/O"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The same problem here... That's the very reason why I gave up 10.0 and turn back to 9.1 sp1... I cannot set DCLK to regular I/O with any configuration... That's really frustrated

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's the risk of a "first implementer". Because I don't use Cyclone IV yet, I staid with V9.0 and "missed" a lot of bugs newly introduced with V9.1.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your help. 

I will wait for the first service pack.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it might be just a GUI issue. try adding the following line to your .qsf: 

set_global_assignment -name RESERVE_DCLK_AFTER_CONFIGURATION "USE AS REGULAR IO"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, great idea. 

It is a GUI issue. If i set the assignments as follow in the .qsf before i compile the design, there is no error and the fitter completes his job. 

set_global_assignment -name RESERVE_FLASH_NCE_AFTER_CONFIGURATION "USE AS REGULAR IO" 

set_global_assignment -name RESERVE_DATA0_AFTER_CONFIGURATION "USE AS REGULAR IO" 

set_global_assignment -name RESERVE_DATA1_AFTER_CONFIGURATION "USE AS REGULAR IO" 

set_global_assignment -name RESERVE_DCLK_AFTER_CONFIGURATION "USE AS REGULAR IO"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks, great idea. 

It is a GUI issue. If i set the assignments as follow in the .qsf before i compile the design, there is no error and the fitter completes his job. 

set_global_assignment -name RESERVE_FLASH_NCE_AFTER_CONFIGURATION "USE AS REGULAR IO" 

set_global_assignment -name RESERVE_DATA0_AFTER_CONFIGURATION "USE AS REGULAR IO" 

set_global_assignment -name RESERVE_DATA1_AFTER_CONFIGURATION "USE AS REGULAR IO" 

--- Quote End ---  

I have try this mathod, but I can not access the epcs still.(I can read epsc when i use Quartus 9.0)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have try this mathod, but I can not access the epcs still.(I can read epsc when i use Quartus 9.0) 

--- Quote End ---  

Same here. I'm using a EP4C115F23C8 with Quartus II 10.0 SP1. As recommended, I added the following lines to the .qsf file: 

With SignalTap I can see the correct waveforms on FLASH_CE#, DCLK and ASDO, but DATA0 is always high. 

If I measure on the hardware, I see the corresponding waveforms on FLASH_CE#, ASDO and DATA0. but dclk is always high (all signals have external pull-ups). As DCLK behaves differently between SignalTap and hardware, I assume that the DCLK FPGA Pin actually is in high-impedance state. 

The Pin-Out File tells this: 

Pin Name/Usage : Location : Dir. : I/O Standard : Volt. : Bank : Usr. ***. 

Fpga_Dclk : K2 : output : 3.3-V LVCMOS : : 1 : Y 

So one could assume that everything is ok, but it obviously is not. Going back to Quartus 9.x is no option because the 9.x EPCS Flash Controller does not work with Cyclone IV devices. Any ideas around?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem in Q10.0 64 bit SP1.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Same here. I'm using a EP4C115F23C8 with Quartus II 10.0 SP1. As recommended, I added the following lines to the .qsf file: 

With SignalTap I can see the correct waveforms on FLASH_CE#, DCLK and ASDO, but DATA0 is always high. 

If I measure on the hardware, I see the corresponding waveforms on FLASH_CE#, ASDO and DATA0. but dclk is always high (all signals have external pull-ups). As DCLK behaves differently between SignalTap and hardware, I assume that the DCLK FPGA Pin actually is in high-impedance state. 

The Pin-Out File tells this: 

Pin Name/Usage : Location : Dir. : I/O Standard : Volt. : Bank : Usr. ***. 

Fpga_Dclk : K2 : output : 3.3-V LVCMOS : : 1 : Y 

So one could assume that everything is ok, but it obviously is not. Going back to Quartus 9.x is no option because the 9.x EPCS Flash Controller does not work with Cyclone IV devices. Any ideas around? 

--- Quote End ---  

The mistery seems to be resolved. The user design can't use the DCLK pin as an output if the Cyclone IV has been programmed in PS mode. If AS mode has been used for programming, the DCLK output works just fine with the EPCS controller. So, if using PS mode, one might consider connecting the EPCS clock signal to a user I/O instead of the DCLK pin (which actually worked in my case).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The mistery seems to be resolved... 

--- Quote End ---  

No, not resolved at all. EPCS controller remains unusable on Cyclone III.  

Tried Quartus v10.0 SP1, both 32 and 64-bit. 

Fed up with it's new "features"... :evil: 

for now back to v9.1, until maybe service pack 2, 3, ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

For problems with the EPCS controller with Cyclone III (and IV) devices try switching to Quartus 10.1. 

I could not get any communication with the EPCS chip on my custom board from the Cyclone III with Quartus 10.0 (SP1) no matter what work-arounds I tried with those dual-purpose pins, the assignments etc. 

Being somewhat a sceptic - I ported the design back to Altera tools 7.2 and ran the Altera standard memory test on the EPCS. Worked just fine. So I took faith in one hand and a large cup of tea in the other.... and installed 10.1. 

Looks like the folk at Altera have come through with a fix. 

Now, there may be other bugs lurking under the skin of 10.1 somewhere - but my board is happily booting from flash; so I'm happy for the moment. 

Peter
0 Kudos