Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Example Design compilation does not run on FPGA (newbie needs help)

Hello there, 

I am currently trying to get into OpenCL Programming for FPGAs. 

I followed Intels "aocl_c5soc_getting_started" guide (I've got a DE10-Standard). 

I eventually got the emulation up and running, but i have huge probelms with the  

cross-compilation of the host aswell as the actual Kernel compilation. 

I compiled the Kernel with the environment Variables set as described in the guide. 

aoc -board=c5soc_sharedonly device/vector_add.cl -o bin/vector_add.aocx 

This command exited after around 30 minutes with 2 warnings and 0 errors.  

The Image which i downloaded from Terasic already contains a working kernel and  

executable so i tried to swap out their kernel with mine and it did no longer work. (At this  

point I was not able to compile the host so I thought to give the swap a try to verify wether 

the kernel is working correctly) 

So now onto the Host compiling problem. So i start by setting up the environment variables 

as before and ran make, which had a warning about libacl_emulator_kernel_rt.so missing. 

Now that i had the kernel and the host i tried running it on the FPGA and got error message 

./host: error while loading shared libraries: libintel_soc32_mmd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 

I found this guide on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npeuaj-mfvy&index=3&list=rd4pukzi14mly 

and he switch into the embedded shell for compiling, but after doing  

so I only got another error Message stating 

arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: file or directory not found 

which is probably because the cc1plus in the path is a 32bit ELF. 

Further Information: 

I am Running in Ubuntu 16.04 and use IntelFPGA OpencSDK 18.0.  

The Board I use is the Terasic DE10-Standard (Cyclone 5 SoC)  

Environment Variables are set up as follows 

$ cat exports export ALTERAOCLSDKROOT="/home/daniel/intelFPGA/18.0/hld" export INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT=$ALTERAOCLSDKROOT export QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE="/home/daniel/intelFPGA/18.0/quartus" export AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT=$ALTERAOCLSDKROOT/board/c5soc export PATH=$ALTERAOCLSDKROOT/bin:$QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE:$PATH export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ALTERAOCLSDKROOT/host/linux64/lib:$AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT/linux64/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ALTERAOCLSDKROOT/board/s5_ref/linux64/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH $ source exports 

Thanks and kind regards, Daniel.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Terasic has an OpenCL document that outlines how to set up the environment and compile and test kernels for your board which you can find here: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=205&no=1081&partno=4 

It seems you are not even using the correct BSP; the BSP you are using is Inetl's reference BSP. You need to use Terasic's custom BSP for your board which you can also get from the above URL. Also it is probably best to first try with Quartus/AOC v16.1.2 since the BSP might not be fully compatible with the latest version of Quartus/AOC.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks for the fast response, I was acutally using the BSP from Terasic. But I shall try the older Version of Quartus/AOC next. Thanks for the hint.