Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16624 Discussions

FIR filter does not build but is implemented

tsoundi
Novice

Dear miss/mister,

I am an engineering student that just started to use Quartus prime in my internship. I am working on the bladeRF SDR(Software definded Radio) and I am implementing blocks to do some DSP on the FPGA on board of the SDR. I implemented a fir filter using the IP core of quartus I managed to make a txt file with coefficients (73 coefficients for each filter) and added the fir filter in the project. I can also see the filter (which is a band-pass) in the rtl viewer.fir filter rtl viewerfir filter rtl viewer

The problem is that when I build the project I had no output so I checked and it seems that the fir filter is not building. When I see the DSP blocks that are used it is less than when I didn't implement the fir filters. So normally the used DSP blocks would be much higher. Here are the resources that are used when building the project.

resources buildresources build

I am working on ubuntu 22.04.2 and  on Quartus Prime Version 21.1.

Feel free to ask any other information if needed.

Thank you very much,

tsoundi

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please see the technology Map viewer as well. It seems there is no issue with the IP or build or resource estimation.

Can you please try with the simulation block by block and provide a sufficient input value to the filter, so that after multiplication with the coefficients it should not be very low value, at least you should get a signal in the +/-1 range. You definitely need to do scaling.

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III
I guess that the problem can be seen in source code, e.g. incorrect scaling of coefficient multiply. Preferably trace signal path in simulation, see where it's cut.
0 Kudos
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please see the technology Map viewer as well. It seems there is no issue with the IP or build or resource estimation.

Can you please try with the simulation block by block and provide a sufficient input value to the filter, so that after multiplication with the coefficients it should not be very low value, at least you should get a signal in the +/-1 range. You definitely need to do scaling.

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

0 Kudos
tsoundi
Novice

Hi,

First of all thank you for your answer.

I looked at the technology Map viewer everything seems to be implemented correctly. I now managed to have more DSP blocks used when building the project. Do you mean with "scaling" whether to truncate or saturate the output ?

I still have an issue I have nothing at the output when I test the implementation. Is it possible to simulate only certain blocks (like the fir filter) in my whole project instead of the whole project? 

I am adapting the BladeRF project which has a lot of blocks but I only want to simulate the blocks I added to that project and implemented myself. Also I have Quartus Prime Lite Edition. Can I simulate with it for free or do i need a license for simulations ?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Daoud Uahabi

0 Kudos
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

What input you are feeding to the filter?

Can you please feed a constant sine wave @X Msps with the amplitude of +/-1.

Please let me know the result.

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

0 Kudos
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘ https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

0 Kudos