Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16642 Discussions

Generating RBF file for Cyclone iii using Quartus ii 13.1 web edition

Woodchuc
Beginner

Hello all,

I would like to generate a raw binary file to load on an EPCQ16 for programming a Cyclone iii (EP3C40) using Quartus ii version 13.1 Web Edition on an Ubuntu 22.04 PC.   Quartus ii runs through its entire compilation routine and exits normally, but there is no SOF, POF or RBF file at the end.  (I selected that an RBF file was desired in the Device configuration window).

How do I generate the FPGA programming data for loading in the configuration ROM?  I cannot find any menu item that performs this function.

Kind regards,

Bill

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hello,
.sof should be always generated, .rbf generation has to be enabled in device configuration. Check messages of final assembler stage. All messages are also dumped in respective .rpt files. Newer Quartus versions have options to skip assembler stage, I believe that's not provided in Quartus 13.
0 Kudos
Woodchuc
Beginner

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.   Yes, I had neglected to tick the Settings->Compilation->Run Assembler box.  I did that and the assembler runs, but hangs up and never completes.  The design is a very simple counter to flash a couple of LEDs, verifying the programmability of my test PCB.  There is something that I am missing.  Do I have an incorrect setting somewhere?  Project files are attached to this message.

Cheers,

Bill

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hello,
the project compiles well (with .rbf output) in Quartus 13.1.4 and also 9.1.

0 Kudos
Woodchuc
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your help.  Apparently some dependencies were missing on the linux box I was using.   After adding the required run time libraries, the project compiled for me as well.

Kind regards,

Bill

0 Kudos
Mengzhe
Employee

Hi,

Can you help posting Quartus II error message.

Since Quartus II is very old version, the project is hard to find a PC with Quartus II to open and compile to see the message.

BR,

Mengzhe

0 Kudos