Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16559 Discussions

Help needed in VHDl code for calculating the I and Q phase component for a ADC signal

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I am designing a DDC in which I need to calculate the In phase(I) and the Quadrature phase(Q) components of my ADC signal. I know how these components are manually calculated from some DSP tutuorials. But what I need to know is how can I represent the same through VHDL code, since I need to synthesise the code on a hardware basis. Just a small introduction on how to preoceed with this is appreciated. Right now, what I have done is I have synthesized the signals from NCO and I have performed the mixer operation (which is basically the multiplication operation of the ADC signal and the synthesizer output) and has completed the decimation by 8 process too. (I read from some tutorials that Decimation is a combo of Fir output + downsampling, and so I have performed it. Also divided the decimation output by 8 since its the decimation factor in my case). I have completed till this, and after this continues the calculation of I and Q phase components. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You'd better to post your DSP block diagram. Most of DSP applications can be partitioned to separate blocks. Each of them can be coded manually or instantiated as a ready IP Core from Megawizard for example. 

Controller of DSP applications is rather simple, at least to control-dominated applications like a CPU.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

Thank for your reply. This is the DSP block diagram of my DDC. Help is appreciated. Thanks 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12873
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

What I actually require is to calculate the I and Q phase components from the digital output(bits) that I obtain after performing the decimation by 8 process(according to DDC.jpg). The output of my VHDL code after the decimation by 8 process is digital. So, a method for decomposing the digital output to I and Q phase components (also in digital) would be a lot more helpful. Please help me out to solve my issue. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

What I actually require is to calculate the I and Q phase components from the digital output(bits) that I obtain after performing the decimation by 8 process(according to DDC.jpg). The output of my VHDL code after the decimation by 8 process is digital. So, a method for decomposing the digital output to I and Q phase components (also in digital) would be a lot more helpful. Please help me out to solve my issue. Thanks in advance. 

--- Quote End ---  

The I/Q you got is I/Q phase components. I am not clear what you are after.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The I/Q you got is I/Q phase components. I am not clear what you are after. 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry its my fault. What I meant is that I have a digital output of a Decimated ADC signal from which I need to calculate the I phase and Q phase components for this signal.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Sorry its my fault. What I meant is that I have a digital output of a Decimated ADC signal from which I need to calculate the I phase and Q phase components for this signal. 

--- Quote End ---  

you have already done that at mixer output. 

However I am not clear about other things. how you process at such high sample rate after ADC
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

you have already done that at mixer output. 

However I am not clear about other things. how you process at such high sample rate after ADC 

--- Quote End ---  

Actually, in the decimation process, I reduce the sampling rate of the ADC signal by performing the decimation by 8, where the mixer output undergoes FIR filtering followed by down sampling by 8. Isn't this enough?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Actually, in the decimation process, I reduce the sampling rate of the ADC signal by performing the decimation by 8, where the mixer output undergoes FIR filtering followed by down sampling by 8. Isn't this enough? 

--- Quote End ---  

before decimation(after adc, at mixer) what is your clock speed and what is sampling rate
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

before decimation(after adc, at mixer) what is your clock speed and what is sampling rate 

--- Quote End ---  

sampling rate= 2.5 GHz and Clock speed= 1024 clock cycles/sec
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I assume you have typing mistakes in your last post as well as in your previous diagram.  

I don't want to move away from your original post but I asked about sampling rate after ADC i.e. input to mixer and clock speed there. 

By sampling rate I mean data sample rate at its given width (not bit rate).  

you also have 8 x something. is your data split up into 8 parallel streams or is that 8 independent channels of data. 

Without clear answers I really can't help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not clear about your problem. 

If you have the decimated output, you have the I/Q components, provided you have already multiplied your ADC signal in the mixer. 

Your ADC should go through Mixer, then through decimation process. IS it the correct order in your implementation? 

I guess that you mean you have no Mixer before decimation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm not clear about your problem. 

If you have the decimated output, you have the I/Q components, provided you have already multiplied your ADC signal in the mixer. 

Your ADC should go through Mixer, then through decimation process. IS it the correct order in your implementation? 

I guess that you mean you have no Mixer before decimation. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, I have a mixer before decimation. But at the output, I have it as a single digital output from which I need to find the I and Q phase components separately. I mean like "111100011101010100..." something like this. I need to decompose this output into I and Q components separately. How to do this in VHDL. Can you suggest me any way of finding this out. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos