Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

I'd like to use a JTAG UART with an 8-bit processor that I'm using with the terasic DE0-CV board that I have. I do have a conventional UART that I could use, but I'd prefer to use the JTAG cable. Performance would be modest, in area of 9600 bps or slower.

KHill
Beginner

Simple communications through a terminal for character communications would be fine.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KHill
Beginner

Some pointers on how to get started would be appreciated. On the host side I've learned that a JTAG server is installed with Quartus, but I don't know how to associate that with a COM port, so that I'll be able to use a terminal program like putty or teraterm. On the target side I'm not sure where to get started.

0 Kudos
KHill
Beginner

Or even a tcp connection using a terminal program

0 Kudos
KHill
Beginner

I just guessed 9600 bps... I'm not looking for performance, even 1200 bps would be okay

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

HI Krista,

Yes, the JTAG server will be installed during Quartus installation. To communicate with any system using Putty and etc, you will need to initiate an IP in Quartus called "JTAG to Avalon Master Bridge".

0 Kudos