Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Inout pin Warning

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using Quartus version 17.1. I am receiving this warning message: 

Warning (12620): Input port OE of I/O output buffer "fx3_dq[1]~output" is not connected, but the atom is driving a bi-directional pin 

from Quartus while compiling. fx3_dq is 8 bits wide and is an inout wire connected from another module to the top level.  

Why am I receiving this message?  

I found this page : https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd01262015_264.html 

but it says this only occurs in version 14.1 and earlier. I also created tried changing the output by assigning it to high if an output enable signal is high and low if low, but I still receive this message. 

-Thank you
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Just implemented logic you have described in both pro & std but not able to get the warning mentioned. 

1. Just delete the incremental_db & db folder and try. 

• Which edition of Quartus (pro/std) are you using? 

• Attach the code & message log from Quartus. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The output should be tri-stated (z) if oe is low, not low. Can you post your code?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using Quartus Prime Standard Edition  

fx3_dq is directly connected to FPGA pins, but is also passed into a module like so: 

fx3 fx3_inst( 

.reset(reset) 

,.clk(clk) 

,.fdata(fx3_dq) 

,.sloe(fx3_sloe_n) 

); 

This is just an example and inside the module there is an assign like so for fdata: 

assign fdata = (slwr_loopback_1d_) ? 8'dz : data_from_hps; 

The code is the sample project from FX3; I'm not sure if I can post it but I have a link to the page. 

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an65974-designing-ez-usb-fx3-slave-fifo-inter... 

On my top level do I also need a tri-state as mentioned? Or should the tri-state be taken care of with the assign statement in the module? 

Thank you
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can't have internal tri-states. They can only be at the top level. Is slwr_loopback_1d_ your oe signal?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You can't have internal tri-states. They can only be at the top level. Is slwr_loopback_1d_ your oe signal? 

--- Quote End ---  

Okay, I will move the assign to my top level instead. Is it because tri-states only apply directly to the FPGA pins?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. Tri-state logic is only in the I/O.