Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16618 Discussions

JTAG connection Issues with Intel FPGA Development Environment

roy970509
Novice

Hello,

I am currently encountering some issues with my Intel FPGA development environment and would appreciate assistance. I am using Quartus Prime Pro version 18.1.2.277, and the device in use is the Stratix 10 TX 1ST280EY2F55E1VG.

USB-Ballaster II is detected, but the device shows 'Unable to connect.' Additionally, when attempting to run the board test system, the error message 'Fail to register GUI application!' appears, preventing the execution. Despite trying to lower the JTAG clock as instructed, the connection issue persists.

Thank you for your assistance.

1.png

  

2.png

roy970509_0-1701774670290.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Are you trying to do remote JTAG, because that is what is showing as failing.  In the Programmer Hardware Setup, go to the Hardware Settings tab instead and select the USB Blaster from the pop-up list.  That should do the trick.  Your jtagconfig output means that you're seeing the device. 

0 Kudos
roy970509
Novice

Thank you for your response. I'm curious if my understanding is correct that 'Hardware Settings' and 'Remote JTAG' refer to different configurations. Additionally, I'd like to inquire about the issue with the board test system (BTS). I'm encountering an error when running BTS, and despite following all the provided instructions, the problem persists. The error message is as follows:

Failed to register GUI application!

Please make sure the following settings are correct:
-Make sure device list on JTAG chain is correct.
-Only one application instance is opened.
-All service is closed which is opened or claimed by system-console.
-Connect the board through on board USB-Blaster II.

If all settings are correct and still have the problem, you can try the following methods and then restart this application:
-Lower Jtag Clock with "jtagconfig --setparam <cable> JtagClock <value>" command.
-End java and jtagserver.exe process on Windows Task Manager.
-Power cycle the board.
-Restart your computer.
-Reconfigure the system MAX image.
0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Remote JTAG is having the board connected via USB blaster to a computer in one location (a JTAG server) and then you access it remotely from another computer.  You don't seem to be doing this.  Just go to the Hardware Settings and make sure the direct connection works.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you-

1.Download the BTS installation from our website: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/fpga/development-kits/stratix/10-tx-signal-integrity.html

select ES2 (if you are using an ES2 version of the board). Once downloaded please try to update with the following .pof

\examples\max5\max5.zip\system_max5\output_files\max5.pof

2.     Please restart computer and power cycle the dev kit before you configure.

Let’s see if these works.

Another solution that you can try is apart from above, lower the JTAG frequency to 16MHz.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
roy970509
Novice

Thank you for your response.

I'm curious about which version you're referring to as ES2.
I have been running the program with the file in the red box so far.  Should I proceed with the file in the blue box?

Additionally, I tried lowering the JTAG frequency to 16MHz, but it was not successful.

roy970509_0-1701853258477.png

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Have you try sstrell suggestion?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
roy970509
Novice

Hello, thanks to your advice, I successfully ran the BTS program.

Can I adjust the data rate or output voltage swing level in BTS?

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you trying to adjust the data rate and output voltage swing level for GPIO pin?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
roy970509
Novice
I want to adjust them for SMA 2.4mm pins
0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

There is no option to adjust output voltage swing in the BTS.

You can refer to the link below on things you can do for BTS.

6.3.5. The XCVR Tab (intel.com)

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
roy970509
Novice

Yes, I understand that it is not possible to adjust the output swing in the BTS.

Is it also correct that the output data rate cannot be adjusted?

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes, you are right.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos