Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16618 Discussions

Multiple versions on same machine

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there. 

Can multiple versions of Quartus and different Nios tools coexist on the same machine? 

The actual situation is: I have a machine (Windows XP) with Quartus 9.0sp2 installed and I'd like to have also version 10.1 on this same machine. 

I have the Nios II licence for 9.0sp2; will it be valid with 10.1, too? 

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find the answer in other threads. 

Regards
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can have both versions installed, and AFAIK the NIOS license is permanent and will work with the new version. To check that last point you can go in Quartus 9 and go to "License setup". It should tell you if the Nios license is permanent or not.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

multiple versions normally co-exist without a problem on the same machine. when you open a different version of Quartus II on Windows, the environment variables are updated automatically and everything should work fine. on Linux you need to take care of environment variables yourself, so there's no problem there 

usually cores come with 1 year of "maintenance" included, meaning you can update to newer versions for free. if the license is "permanent" you can use the last version covered by your maintenance date forever 

take a look at your license file to try and decipher the maintenance date on your license. better yet, generate a license on the new Licence Center which will have the date written as a comment
0 Kudos