Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

[NIOS2 SBT, Ubuntu 16.04] version 18.0 segmentation Faults at launch, while 17.0 is OK.

Julien
New Contributor I

Hi,

I installed Quartus Lite 18.0 successfully on Ubuntu 16.04, and can use Quartus just fine. But when I try to launch the NIOS2 Eclipse IDE from the "nios2_command_shell", I get a Segmentation Fault.

Trying the exact same test with version 17.0 of QuartusLite works fine, the NIOS eclipse IDE starts correctly

Is there any specific thing I could check to understand why 18.0 segfaults, and fix the issue ?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Julien,

This is weird it should be working fine. Can you try the slandered version?

0 Kudos
Julien
New Contributor I

Hi,

What is the "slandered" version ?

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Standard Edition

Go to Quarts downloads and get the standard edition

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/download-center.html

0 Kudos
Julien
New Contributor I

Hello,

I downloaded and installed the Standard edition of 18.0, retried, and got the same result : segmentation fault upon launching "eclipse-nios2 &" from the nios_command_shell.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

I see The Quartus 18 supports Ubuntu 16.04 which means it should work fine.

Can you attach a screenshot of the error message and the log file of the Quartus?

0 Kudos
Julien
New Contributor I

This is not a problem with Quartus IDE, but with the NIOS Eclipse IDE to create NIOS BSP.

Below is a copy/paste of the command I am typing and what I get, there is nothing else happening :

etabli@bids-etabli:~/intelFPGA/18.0STANDARD/nios2eds$ ./nios2_command_shell.sh 

------------------------------------------------

Altera Nios2 Command Shell [GCC 4]

Version 18.0, Build 614

------------------------------------------------

etabli@bids-etabli:~/intelFPGA/18.0STANDARD/nios2eds$ eclipse-nios2 

Segmentation fault

etabli@bids-etabli:~/intelFPGA/18.0STANDARD/nios2eds$ 

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Can I confirm with you the issue?

I need to escalate this to get confirmed and fixed

The Quarts version is 18.0 and the NIOS II for Eclipse doesn't start up and doesn't create the BSP..... Correct? Plus you tried the version 17.0 and got no issue, and tried the standard version 18.0 which replicates the issue......correct?

Can you please send a screen shoot of the error message and the log file?

0 Kudos
Julien
New Contributor I

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04, and the problem no longer exists, both Quartus and eclipse-nios2 can be launched without issue now. There must have been some kind of library version incompatibility earlier when I was using Ubuntu 16.04.

Thank you, no further action needed as far as I am concerned.

Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

I confirmed with the engineering team that the Quarts and Qsys support the Ubuntu with no issue. Yes It might be a missing library in Ubuntu 16.04.

0 Kudos