Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16635 Discussions

Nios II problem with DDR core SOPC builder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all: 

I am currently transitioning a Quartus 8.0 (subscription edition) project to Quartus 12.1 (web edition). 

I am facing couple of problems: 

1. The NIOS II Eclipse tool does not run the code correctly. I see the following error: 

Pausing target processor: not responding 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused 

I searched for this error and saw a lot of replies talking about generating the BSP using the BSP editor and not the context menu in Eclipse. I tried both methods and this problem is not resolved. 

One thing I have observed is that when I create a Hello_world_small project from scratch, it runs on NiosII. Once I start adding my code or modify the file to start using system.h the project does not run on NiosII. 

2. In my SOPC builder I am using the DDR2 module and I don't know if this core requires the subscription edition to work correctly. 

I have attached the screenshot of my SOPC builder and the Eclipse tool window. 

Please advise if you have seen similar issues. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

If your reset vector address points to the DDR2 Memory you should get this error when you try to run any NIOS project. 

There's an ALTMEMPHY debug interface, I have used it once to verify a DDR2 design and it was not passing the calibration stage (hardware problem), maybe it's good for you to check it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using the correct DDR core and I am still having this issue. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos