Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

OpenCL + Cyclone V SoC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Whilst I have lots of experience with embedded ARM C/Linux I'm new to FPGAs and new to OpenCL. I have a SoCKit plus some no doubt dumb questions: 

1. It seems C2H is no longer supported, so OpenCL is currently the best option for coding in a high(ish) level language. Have I understood that correctly? 

2. I've seen the Cyclone V SoC ray tracing video on YouTube, but cannot find any example source anywhere. Am I missing something? 

3. I have downloaded the OpenCL "Hello World" example, but I don't have a Nallatech board. My dev box runs Scientific Linux 6.4, and I have installed Quartus II web edition + OpenCL. My altera/13.1/hld/board contains a "c5soc" section, which sounds like what I need, but.... 

4. [jim@development hello_world]$ aoc --list-boards 

Board list: 

pcie385n_a7 

pcie385n_d5 

5. [jim@development device]$ aoc hello_world.cl --board pcie385n_a7 

Error: aoc: Can't find a valid license for the Altera SDK for OpenCL 

6. [jim@development device]$ aoc hello_world.cl --board c5soc 

Error: No board_spec.xml found for board 'c5soc' (/home/jim/altera/13.1/hld/board/pcie385n/hardware/c5soc/board_spec.xml). 

7. [jim@development device]$ aoc hello_world.cl --board s5phq_d8 

Error: No board_spec.xml found for board 's5phq_d8' (/home/jim/altera/13.1/hld/board/pcie385n/hardware/s5phq_d8/board_spec.xml). 

What should I try next? To start with it seems as though aoc is hard coded to only know about the Nallatech Stratix V board. How can I get over that hurdle? 

Thanks, 

Jim
0 Kudos
28 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am getting same problem regarding to Licenses. 

Does anyojne found How to solve Error: "cant find valid License for ALtera SDK OpenCL". 

I try to use Export command, but its showimng "Export command not found." 

Please help me for it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you installed the SDK and requested a license for it? The SDK is a licensed tool from Altera (Intel PSG). 60 day evaluation licenses can be had from a local distributor or sales person from ALtera. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi All, 

I am getting same problem regarding to Licenses. 

Does anyojne found How to solve Error: "cant find valid License for ALtera SDK OpenCL". 

I try to use Export command, but its showimng "Export command not found." 

Please help me for it. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Have you installed the SDK and requested a license for it? The SDK is a licensed tool from Altera (Intel PSG). 60 day evaluation licenses can be had from a local distributor or sales person from ALtera. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

Yes I installed SDK and I have licence for Quartus from Altera. 

Isn't same licence work for Quartus 15.0 version and SDK for OpenCL? Do I need to buy another Licence for OpenCL? 

Quartus is already working fine with all Licence rights, but SDK is showing me an error "Not valid Licence" while I tried aoc command.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi billjenkins, 

Yes I already installed SDK from Altera. 

While I was installing they didnt ask for Licences. I just gave Licences file to Quartus, but didnt ask for OpenCl SDK.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi billjenkins, 

Yes I already installed SDK from Altera. 

While I was installing they didnt ask for Licences. I just gave Licences file to Quartus, but didnt ask for OpenCl SDK. 

--- Quote End ---  

To put it this way....when you install windows does it ask you if you want to install the JAVA Development kit license? OpenCL is a Software Development Kit for SW users target an FPGA in a software development environment. It uses Quartus behind the scenes and is never opened by the user. So, you need an OpenCL license and having that takes care of Quaruts. Quartus is for FPGA developers...a very different flow for different users
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Regarding license there are two fundamental requirements...  

1/ 

You should see following string in license file ... "FEATURE opencl_sdk alterad "  

2/ 

To allow aoc command to access license file, env. variable LM_LICENSE_FILE has to be set to pointing to file with valid license.  

Hope this helps. 

Jan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have had fun with the licensing, I found that Centos 7 and Ubuntu 16.04 wouldn't work, even with the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable set, although after a lot of investigation, i found that its due to the new network naming and the primary network needs to be names eth0 (new distro's go with the enoxxxxx format). 

Rename the interface and its all working 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

...I try to use Altera Cyclone SoC Development Kit to simple HelloWorld applications of OpenCL with last Quartus 17.1, SoCFPGA EDS and SDK for OpenCL (Windows 7 host). 

Download and install last versions, try to write SD-card with SDK boot image (hld/boards/c5soc/linux_sd_card_image.tgz unrolled) with recommended ImageWriter -- no output in USB-UART. And another file "sdimage.img" from /altera/14.0sp2/kits/cycloneVSX_5csxfc6df31_soc/factory_recovery/sdimage.img.gz is written to SD and started in SoC kit successful. 

A view of "sdimage.img" displays a presence of Partition Table in first 0..1FF bytes of file and "55 AA" in end of PT. 

In "linux_sd_card_image" this PT (very likely) is in 2nd "sector" (200..3FF bytes), first sector contain a header with auxilary data and play role PT with garbage partitions, and Linux (U-Boot) is'nt start. 

is this a mistake, or imagewriter may cut first 512 bytes by writing image to sd-card ? 

I manually cut first 512 bytes in 2G-image and retry writing and starting kit -- U-Boot is loaded and says: 

... Bad image and mismatched CRC # ## ERROR# ## Please RESET the board# ## 

I search in documentation all default jumpers and swithes and see a disparity between https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/alterasocdevelopmentboardsoftwaregettingstarted and http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/socedsgettingstarted

"J28 right shorted " / "J28 BOOTSEL0 1-2 Shorted" 

All other jumpers are equal, I set it. 

In both positions of J28 Linux is started in 20 seconds. 

In last version of manual aocl_c5soc_getting_started.pdf is explained another (3rd) positions in SW3 DIP: 

1-ON 2-OFF 3-ON 4-OFF 5-ON 6-ON 

In https://www.altera.com/documentation/ewa1400875619714.html#ewa1400875828418 is the same recommendation. 

With these settings Linux is also started. 

may be any problem in this disparityes ? 

Anybody know/see more settings/links for this jumpers in onboard Linux ? 

In second link (to AlteraWiki) present section about only "Cyclone V Board (rev.E) Setup ", and "rev.A".."rev.D" is omitted. 

Is the jumpers for other revisions of board c5soc absolute equal ? May OpenCL towork on all revisions or only on E ? 

On my copy of board c5soc and its package I not found writed "rev.". may be software methods to determine rev.x ? 

Because on https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-cyclone-v-soc.html present a differing links to "Rev E PCB", "Rev D PCB" and "Rev C PCB" for downloading "Kit installation (EXE) (Windows)".
0 Kudos