Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

OpenCL with Python on Altera FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

I want to use Python as host code on OpenCL, any one here use it befor on Windows OS?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you made any progress? 

I also would like to use Python as host code on my Cyclone V SoC... I am currently playing around with Yocto and Buildroot to generate a new custom image... but I don't have much experience with embedded Linux and so far I haven't made anything functional. I do know that you will want to be on a Linux OS if you are trying to build a new Linux image though... learned that the hard way.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I still searching for a solution, your idea of Yocto and Buildroot are very cool and I will try them and Im ready to do a hard work but I dont know where and how to start because I dont have high experiance in linux, if you have any idea about that just please tell me. 

I want to inform you that when we compile host program in C/C++, the compiler use many library such .h and .so, for .h is easy to use it in Python but .so I have no idea, and another thing is the syntsx to call kernel and use memory and...... such clCreatContex, clBuildprogram, clCreatKernel ................., that also problem. 

As I told you Im ready to do hard work but I dont have idea where to start, if you have any idea just tell me and if you want to talk on one of social media is better.  

Have you made any progress?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I managed to get Python on the board ( see this thread (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54616)) but I have not used Python as host code yet. I am working on getting OpenCL working currently (this thread (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54740)) and then I will be trying ot use python as a host. 

Good luck! Please post any progress you make :)
0 Kudos