Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Optimize for size

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I just decided to try to upgrade my 5.1 quartus to 9.0. The problem I encounter is that in 5.1 i compile the project and get the design consisting of 4,800 elements (chip can hold 4,992). Quartus 9.0 generates the design with 11,000 ?!! elements. Is it possible to finetune new qartus to minimize element amount?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Go to the hierarchy browser(Project Navigator) in the top-left and look at why it grew in size. There's going to be a specific reason why it grew this big. If I were guessing, something that was synthesizing to RAM is now going into FFs. Perhaps a state-machine grew in size, but not most likely. It's most likely not going to be a generic "everything got bigger because the synthesis" but a specific problem that can be debugged.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks, I will try it

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've just spent a lot of time trying to generate a little extra room in our design. 

The best place to start in the resouce advisor in Quartus. 

The one setting that produced an amazing 10% area reduction for our design was... 

global_assignment -name MUX_RESTRUCTURE ON 

Give it a try yopu never know.
0 Kudos